turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Chufa

Started by jhoward11, July 28, 2021, 08:25:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhoward11

Anyone have luck with chufa? I'm in the mid west and planted chufa a couple months ago and just wondering how you all keep the weeds out. It's not so much grasses, but looks like other brood leaf vine vegetation. I have used Clethadim (not sure on spelling) but it just kills mainly the grass. I tried mowing it down some this week so we'll see how that goes.

Shiloh

2-4db for broadleaf.  That's what I use

bbcoach

Here's a good read, https://www.nwtf.org/conservation/article/chufa-how-to  As stated use 24db / Butyrac 200.  Make sure you use 2 4db not 2 4d.

shatcher

2-4DB.  I planted 2 acres last year.  Need 2 or 3 times that. They went through 2 acres in a hurry!

jhoward11

Thanks for the info, will try it this weekend!  would this also work on clover or would it kill the clover?

bbcoach

Clethodim for grasses (as you know) and 2 4db for broadleaf weeds in clover as well.  2 4d will kill clover.

shatcher

Quote from: bbcoach on July 28, 2021, 02:59:39 PM
Clethodim for grasses (as you know) and 2 4db for broadleaf weeds in clover as well.  2 4d will kill clover.
This right here.  Clethodim at my local co-op is called Cleanse (1 pint per acre).  24DB is butyrac (1 quart per acre).  These two can be mixed.  To maximize effectiveness, make sure you use a surfactant (makes it stick).

Meleagris gallopavo

Use 1 pt nonionic surfactant/100 gallons with the herbicides. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

bbcoach

In a pinch, you can use liquid dish soap as your surfactant.  The soap will break the surface tension on the leaves and make the herbicide stick to the weeds.  Several good squirts will do the trick.  CAUTION: make sure you put the soap in after you have completely filled the sprayer with water.  If you don't the tank will fill with suds.