OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Competitions & Call Makers  (Read 2388 times)

Offline Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • It's about the journey, not the outcome
Re: Competitions & Call Makers
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2021, 09:07:10 PM »
   Notoriety matters and winning can't hurt. But when Richard Hudson told me he lost a competition to Mike Lapp, it didn't stop me at all from ordering a call from him. But both of those makers are very well known, so basically I think it matters if you're up and coming.
     Word of mouth matters most, which is spurred on by overall quality, sound, looks, maybe value at first, availability(or lack of it) and makers personality(a big one in my opinion) more so than comp wins imho
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Offline Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2021, 09:50:54 PM »
Not me. I have gotten calls from makers who have won competitions and was not overly impressed with them and I have gotten calls from some not so well known makers that are outstanding. A call maker can build 10 individual calls to the same specs and none sound the same. A maker sends their very best to competition , the ones they pick out of the hundreds they make. Just my opinion but I dont care who makes the call as long as it is well made and sounds a level above just average.

This is so true and has been my experience also. There is so much natural variation in any maker's calls. Just because they win a competition with a given call certainly doesn't mean the call that you get is gonna win competitions.

Offline Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2021, 10:12:11 PM »
Just one more point I'd like to make on this is that most quality call makers are truly great craftsmen and even though there is some variability in their calls most that I've purchased and handled are pretty darn good and reasonably consistent. Competitions are sometimes splitting hairs in quality.

Offline culpeper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2021, 10:28:44 PM »
I like to try to buy at least one call from every notable maker that I'm aware of. And then if I really liked the call or liked working with them, I keep buying more. Which reminds me Culpeper-I'm still waiting for you to build me one! Lol

Ouch, ya got me there, send me a PM and remind me so I can check and see, thanks.

Guys, thanks for all these great responses...just what I had hoped to see...keep em coming.

Offline hotspur

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2021, 06:41:22 AM »
I think friendly competition is a very good thing. You can learn something from others.  As for me I base my selection of calls on sound. I was raised as a duck and goose hunter, I think there is a duckor goose  or turkey in every call, you just have to find it.  I also think custom made calls are superior

Offline rodney gillikin

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2021, 07:06:49 AM »
i think its fun to enter in competitions, wish more would release all the scores sheets but that is another thing.
Rodney Gillikin @
Pure T Momicked game calls
Bettie NC
https://www.facebook.com/PureTMommickedGameCalls/

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2021, 08:59:34 AM »
Just one more point I'd like to make on this is that most quality call makers are truly great craftsmen and even though there is some variability in their calls most that I've purchased and handled are pretty darn good and reasonably consistent. Competitions are sometimes splitting hairs in quality.
The last sentence says it all. I'd bet $1000 that the call that wins DD Adams this Saturday wouldn't win it a day later on Sunday. There's so many calls that don't even make the cut to the whiteboard that would make it on the same day with different judges.

Offline ol bob

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2021, 09:46:07 AM »
I know of one call that took 1st in Nashville, one Month later the same call was entered in the Dixie Deer Classic it didn't place.

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2021, 12:27:13 PM »
Out of all the calls I own, think I only have one or two calls that were made by competition winners. From the previous statement it is probably obvious that it is not an issue with me. All the turkey calls that I own have higher degree of calling than my limited calling abilities can produce. so if they have won in competition really dos not matter. I am mostly enamored by the exotics woods and just can not pass up a beautifully crafted call.    But as previously statement from am investment prospective probably a known competition call will have a greater value in the future.