OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Reloading thoughts  (Read 1649 times)

Offline Old Timer

• The Boss Gobbler
Reloading thoughts
« on: July 23, 2021, 05:08:09 PM »
Years back when I shot my 45lc and various handguns often I reloaded almost once a week.  I learned and developed loads for accuracy and enjoyment. To be honest it is a craft that I am  not really crazy about but is good to know and cost saving if you shoot a lot. That brings me to this question trying to find product for reloading tss is not easy these days also the learning curve I just don`t think I want to tackle it.
Took the SA-20 out today and sighted it in with Winchester Supremes 1 1/4 0z #5 @35 yards. Nothing impressive but it will do the job. I may try some LB`s and tss next when available. This 20 ga deal is new to me but I am enjoying it. To some of you who use a 20 have you had success with lead ? What loads? Thanks for listening. Good day

Offline Jstocks

Re: Reloading thoughts
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 05:29:24 PM »
If you think you will enjoy the reloading process of tss, then I would search components and go that route.

If it will just be a means to an end, I’d buy some Apex or some Foxtrot during this off season, set my gun up, and then buy enough of that specific load to last me 5 seasons at least.

I for one enjoy the reloading, so it’s the route I prefer. Right now, wads, powder, and shot can be had without too much craziness. Roll crimp tools, shell vise, and scales are always available.

If I was getting started, I’d contact Ronnie Savage, Tommy Duleba, or Hal Abbott. I’d ask for a load with a vp90 wad or a tps wad, Lil Gun powder, and with either Fiocchii or Cheddite hulls. All these components can be had with some patience and a lil research.

Online bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 05:56:25 PM »
Reloading supplies are getting just like ammo, very hard to come by.  If you don't have it in your hands Good Luck finding it.  It isn't impossible but you will have to be patient.  When you find what you are looking for, you better plan on taking out a second mortgage and buy plenty to last several decades.  As with ammo, it isn't going to get better.

Offline Jstocks

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 06:10:13 PM »
Reloading supplies are getting just like ammo, very hard to come by.  If you don't have it in your hands Good Luck finding it.  It isn't impossible but you will have to be patient.  When you find what you are looking for, you better plan on taking out a second mortgage and buy plenty to last several decades.  As with ammo, it isn't going to get better.

I’ve bought wads and hulls on 3 recent occasions at Ballistic Products. I’ve bought several different purchases of Lil Gun powder recently.

Maybe not unlimited quantities, but reloading tss supplies are out there.

Shot can be bought.

Not sure what other supplies are needed.

Offline Hook hanger

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 06:27:59 PM »
Tough time to get into reloading right now for sure. But since you have some reloading experience its not that difficult to do and would save you some money in the long run. Also you would know the quality control of your loads

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 08:49:51 PM »
I always thought the lead 20ga patterns were pathetic, pre longbeards of course.  Hevi shot was decent and Federal was heavy weight in 7 was good.

TSS showed up and suddenly a 20ga was better than a 12 shooting hevi shot.  I have been loading my own TSS for a while now, the only thing I have had to replenish was the shot, I bought enough components to load a lot of rounds initially and I do not shoot many shells other than at turkeys!

Patterning wise I bet I haven't shot more than 5 loads, and only one in recent years after a miss where I centered a sapling I guess I looked past?  I have iron sights and of course they were dead on.

Online Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 09:26:44 PM »
To be fair............ 35 yards is pushing it for acceptable pattern density with 1 1/4 oz. of lead #5's

You may want to try #6's........... Federal offers them, I believe.  Fiocchi Golden Pheasant.  The Longbeard XR's should up the game considerably in lead, too.

THEN................there's the TSS.  Entirely different ballgame.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline shatcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 10:32:06 PM »
TSS out of a 20 between 30 and 40 yards.

Offline lacire

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 12:22:51 AM »
I’ve reloaded 20ga lead in the past and it’s enjoyable. There’s a certain amount of satisfaction in making your own shells. I’ve used Federal copper plated lead 4’s, Winchester long beard 5’s and HEVI-X Strut, a blended 5/6 shot in 20ga to kill turkey’s. A few months ago I looked into reloading the TSS. I’m in a remote area and after looking and not being able to chase down all of the components I just gave up. For now l’ve opted to just buy the Apex 9’s and hunt with them this coming season. This will be the first year I’ve used TSS.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 01:08:22 AM »
I'd buy some foxtrot and kill turkeys.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2021, 12:47:18 PM »
The way i look at it is, 20 Apex TSS 410 and 20 APEX 20 ga. will last me long time, no need to have all that reloading stuff in my way.. With everyone posting they have no turkeys to hunt, why would you need to load a bunch of TSS shells.. IMO...

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2021, 01:21:28 PM »
The learning curve to load TSS is very short and there are plenty of videos on You Tube with great tutorials. I do load TSS for my 20g but now shoot it from a modified choke to widen the patterns. I am not shooting over 40 yards.

If I were a very serious Turkey hunter I would recommend loading TSS but if not I would purchase factory TSS, pattern my shotgun and move on. I would not recomend lead for a 20g in this day and age.

TSS is too much in a 12g (TSS is almost to much in a 20g) and I shoot LB 4's for turkey and coyote to great effect in the 12.

Despite all the opinions TSS 9, 6, and 4, are all good for Turkey, coyote and Bobcat although I prefer 4's for the larger predator's. Fur damage is minimal but be sure to take only head shots at Turkeys.

As for components: as mentioned above the market is beginning to open up a bit and with diligent reseach you should be able to find what you need. Just my 2 cents
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline Yoteduster

• Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2021, 01:40:25 PM »
Unless you've got all the nessisary tools for reloading shot shells you'd be better off just buying some apex tss and go hunting

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2021, 02:36:27 PM »
I have an entire reloading setup brand new in the boxes. Had it for years and never set it up because i didn't have the space or time. Recently moved into a new house and was all ready to begin setting it up and start reloading for my rifles, and the shortages hit! I got lousy timing for sure lol!!

Online crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2021, 02:58:12 PM »
Years back when I shot my 45lc and various handguns often I reloaded almost once a week.  I learned and developed loads for accuracy and enjoyment. To be honest it is a craft that I am  not really crazy about but is good to know and cost saving if you shoot a lot. That brings me to this question trying to find product for reloading tss is not easy these days also the learning curve I just don`t think I want to tackle it.
Took the SA-20 out today and sighted it in with Winchester Supremes 1 1/4 0z #5 @35 yards. Nothing impressive but it will do the job. I may try some LB`s and tss next when available. This 20 ga deal is new to me but I am enjoying it. To some of you who use a 20 have you had success with lead ? What loads? Thanks for listening. Good day

35yds with lead in a 20 was about as far as I could get for ethical head/neck hunting patterns.
this was before 20ga. LB's were available.

went right to Fed HVWT's, no comparison to lead,
then started reloading tss, which is better than the hvwt's, but would have just shot the HVWT's if they stayed available.

Like Jstocks said, components are becoming more available.
if you still have your centerfire reloading equipment you have some of whats necessary.