OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mississippi non-resident regulations pending  (Read 6613 times)

Offline arkrem870

Mississippi non-resident regulations pending
« on: July 22, 2021, 09:27:30 PM »
https://www.wjtv.com/news/state/spring-turkey-season-changes-proposed-for-non-residents-in-mississippi/amp/

Looks like loose lips have done it again. Thanks youtubers.  Where will hunting opportunity be lost next as a result?  Gotta have that hunter recruitment……you know. For the sport

Offline deerhunt1988

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Mississippi non-resident regulations pending
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 10:24:38 PM »
Coupled with the Bama and GA public land changes, going to be a lot of diverted traveling hunters. I predict FL and TN are going to get NASTY next spring! But maybe that's what TWRA wants since they partnered with THP? Speaking of THP, they put north Florida on the radar at the perfect time.

Glad to see a state looking out for its residents!

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 10:49:49 PM »
Sorry but from i just read i see no change in the MS. laws.

Chad

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 11:07:31 PM »
MISSISSIPPI COMMISSION ON WILDLIFE, FISHERIES, AND PARKS
MISSISSIPPI DEPARTMENT OF WILDLIFE, FISHERIES, AND PARKS
Title 40: Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks
Part 2: Wildlife
Part 2, Chapter 3: Turkey
RULE 3.1 WILD TURKEY SEASONS AND BAG LIMITS.
A. Spring Season: March 15 - May 1, unless March 15 falls on a Sunday and the season
shall be March 14 – May 1.
B. Non-Resident Draw Hunt
1. All non-residents must be drawn to hunt open public lands from March 15
– March 28.
2. Open public lands include National Forests, National Wildlife Refuges,
Corps of Engineers lands, etc., that have statewide seasons without special regulations. This
includes MDWFP-operated Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) that are open with no special
season or draw hunts during this time.

Chad

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 11:09:20 PM »
For now, the proposed rule is in a 30-day comment period and is set for final adoption at the August Commission meeting

Offline Hook hanger

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 11:26:03 PM »
That is a great rule and hopefully adapted to all states will implement the same type rules.

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 11:39:39 PM »
Georgia just chose to put the restriction on everyone instead of NR hunters. I really wish the GA DNR would have went this route and limited NR hunters and restrict them to 1 bird.

Instead they went with a later opener, took away a gobbler from the limit and limited to 1 bird a day.

I think it sucks, especially if I am on a several day hunt and kill one right after daylight.

Offline El Pavo Grande

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 11:53:40 PM »
A friend and I were just talking today about the possibility of changes like this proposal coming at some point, probably sooner rather than later.  I told him we were extremely fortunate to have been able to hunt for 3 decades leading up to what it has become the last few years.  I’m hopeful for a better future at some point, but realistically think the “good ole days” are gone for good.  The social media driven world we live in has been and will continue to be the downfall.  I sure hope I’m proven wrong.

If this goes into effect I agree others will follow suite with limiting access to out of state hunters and increase in draw hunts for residents.  I just wish more would wake up and realize this can’t continue.  These proposed changes won’t be about the result of declines in populations, they will be the result of irresponsibility on Facebook, YouTube, forums, and other slips of the tongue.  Such a shame.

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2021, 05:22:11 AM »
Georgia just chose to put the restriction on everyone instead of NR hunters. I really wish the GA DNR would have went this route and limited NR hunters and restrict them to 1 bird.

Instead they went with a later opener, took away a gobbler from the limit and limited to 1 bird a day.

I think it sucks, especially if I am on a several day hunt and kill one right after daylight.

That's really what I was hoping for was 1 bird cap on non res, but im not gonna complain. I see this as a positive change no doubt about it.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline Hook hanger

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2021, 06:19:56 AM »
A friend and I were just talking today about the possibility of changes like this proposal coming at some point, probably sooner rather than later.  I told him we were extremely fortunate to have been able to hunt for 3 decades leading up to what it has become the last few years.  I’m hopeful for a better future at some point, but realistically think the “good ole days” are gone for good.  The social media driven world we live in has been and will continue to be the downfall.  I sure hope I’m proven wrong.

If this goes into effect I agree others will follow suite with limiting access to out of state hunters and increase in draw hunts for residents.  I just wish more would wake up and realize this can’t continue.  These proposed changes won’t be about the result of declines in populations, they will be the result of irresponsibility on Facebook, YouTube, forums, and other slips of the tongue.  Such a shame.

I too think the good ole days are going to be impacted for a traveling turkey hunter in the very near future. The ones who took advantage of it 10-20 years ago will definitely have some good memories. Loose lips definitely sink ships.

Offline sasquatch1

• The Boss Gobbler
Mississippi non-resident regulations pending
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2021, 06:39:16 AM »
Sucks being I’ve hunted ms for a long time as a NR, but after seeing the pressure the last two years something had to be done. All the traveling hunters on top of increasing resident hunters has made it packed, especially the beginning.

I wish they’d make it monetary though and put the money into more/better habitat vs keep same money virtually and less pressure. People complain about the cost to hunt until they don’t even have the option, then and only then do they realize its cheap In the grand scheme. Wma stamps are wayyyyy too cheap to start for the land available to hunt.

On another note, do y’all even think the you-tubers feel any guilt/responsibility?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline arkrem870

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2021, 06:50:31 AM »
Unless they are absolute sociopaths they must feel some responsibility. If they cared one bit about turkeys and turkey hunting they’d cease production immediately and delete all content. And if turkey hunters care one bit about turkeys and future turkey hunting they’d never click on a YouTube or social media chasing 49/ thunder rooster fanning etc page again.  We know what got us here and change won’t happen over night as it’s hard to undo what’s been done at this point. But I dont think all hope is lost if people would start being responsible and quit monetizing wild turkeys and needing confirmation. Hunt turkeys for you and you alone. Not for likes and $

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2021, 07:04:19 AM »
I'm most interested in what the western states are going to do.  It is easy to see that any future hunts for me will probably be on private land that is accessible with a trespass fee.  I follow these post closely and try and weed out any outfitter hunts that imply they'll shuttle me out to a preplaced blind and we'll just sit there at a food plot like a deer hunt.  The game is evolving quickly.  Too bad.     

i

Offline sasquatch1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2021, 08:48:03 AM »
I'm most interested in what the western states are going to do.  It is easy to see that any future hunts for me will probably be on private land that is accessible with a trespass fee.  I follow these post closely and try and weed out any outfitter hunts that imply they'll shuttle me out to a preplaced blind and we'll just sit there at a food plot like a deer hunt.  The game is evolving quickly.  Too bad.     

i
I feel they in trouble out west. Them birds can’t adapt to pressure fast enough and that’s where all the newbies who struggle to kill will flock to because of the higher success

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Bolandstrutters

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2021, 04:28:29 PM »
As much as I use to enjoy watching THP and Pinhoti I feel they are pretty damn responsible for all of this mess in the past few years.  And states have actually paid THP to promote hunting and over the counter tags in their states.