OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Gulvas mouth calls, and even mouth calls in general  (Read 1659 times)

Offline Canadian

Gulvas mouth calls, and even mouth calls in general
« on: July 21, 2021, 07:21:34 PM »
So about 2 months ago I purchased my first set of Gulvas mouth calls; 1 double reed, 2 masters choice, 1 gray master, and 1 triple reed. In the research I had done on Gulvas' calls, I had an understanding that these calls were no regular mouth calls. They run completely different from most mouth calls, and came to the conclusion, going into it, that I was probably going to have to get worse, before I get better. The first call I tried was the double, and after about 10-20 hours of running it and practicing it, decided to try out the masters choice as I found it difficult to soft talk with rasp on the double reed. Right away, I found that the masters choice was going to be more suitable for soft talking, and overall just a more versatile call. Now, I've been running the masters choice for about a month and a half, with EASILY over 50 hours of practice. I wore the first one out to where the top reed developed a small split on the edge, and the tape would skate around on the metal ring. It's been a hard run learning this call. I find that when it sounds good, it sounds absolutely phenomenal, but when it sounds bad, its absolutely awful. Things are still improving, but sometimes it seems like at a snails pace. The hardest thing I'm trying to overcome, is the 'squawking' sound I get instead of rasp sometimes. The squawk always seems to come from the front of the call, where good rasp seems to come from my throat. Why can't I seem to consistently control my rasp?

I've been running mouth calls for about 5 or so years now, and can consistently run a woodhaven or knight and hale, or really anything with either a batwing, or combo cut. However, although I have consistency on those calls, like I said before, when the Gulvas sounds good, it sounds GOOD. So, I'm determined to learn it. I'd like to hear other peoples experiences learning to run a Gulvas call, and even experiences that others may have had trying to perfect a certain call. Anybody else have similar experiences in trying to perfect a throaty rasp, that truly does come from the throat, rather than the latex sounding reeds?

Thanks fellas. Cheers.

Offline boatpaddle

• Longbeard
Re: Gulvas mouth calls, and even mouth calls in general
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 07:50:36 PM »
Congratulations on purchasing a few Gulvas calls...

I've been running Denny's mouth calls for a long time..

I'll suggest this pair items to you to shorten the learning curve for you...

With the thin reeds, it's take allot LESS air to make those calls work.. The less air you use the more vibration of the reeds...

If you can huff air from your diaphragm & use your throat to control air flow, then use a very light touch of your tongue to the reeds, you'll have it...

The key, when you are first starting to use Denny's calls, is moving less air....

PM me, if I can be of any help to you...

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome