OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Little road trip yesterday..........

Started by Yoder409, July 19, 2021, 09:04:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Pointed the Silverado west yesterday morning to go see my buddy, Marlin for a short visit.  Had a great time talking turkey calls, call making, turkey dogs and what have ya.  Took a matched set of calls back out that I had gotten last trip so Marlin could finish writing inside them.  Last time we got to BS'ing and picking corn and I totally left with neither of us remembering the writing needed done.

Anyways........... I couldn't leave  without SOMETHING following me home ...........  It happened to be a serviceberry/mineral poplar misfit, this time.

Thank you Mr. Marlin for being a gracious host, as always !!!

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

boatpaddle

A fine call from a great gentleman...

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Yoder409

Quote from: boatpaddle on July 19, 2021, 09:12:20 AM
A fine call from a great gentleman...

That's a fact.  Yep.

Funny you should be first to reply, as your name came up in conversation yesterday.   All good, of course !!!    :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Greg Massey

Congratulations on great call from one of the best.. Just think of all the history that has came out of his shop... just awesome..

boatpaddle

Shared allot of good times with Marlin...

Killed a bunch of turkeys with him...

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Yoder409

Quote from: Greg Massey on July 19, 2021, 09:23:31 AM
Congratulations on great call from one of the best.. Just think of all the history that has came out of his shop... just awesome..
Thank you, sir !!!

Marlin truly IS one of the best.  He's taken that title in national competition with his calls..........he backs it up each time I visit with his graciousness.  My Mrs. and I met Marlin, for the first time, about 20 years ago.  She remarked at the time "what a NICE man" he was.  She was right.  And his ability and understanding of how to pull multiple turkeys from a couple hunks of wood is uncanny.  And, it COULD have been someone else's call.............but it wasn't.......that was in my hands to complete my Royal Slam.  For that, alone, there is an extra measure of admiration for the man and his work in my book.

PA elitist since 1979

Yoder409

Quote from: boatpaddle on July 19, 2021, 09:28:34 AM
Shared allot of good times with Marlin...

Killed a bunch of turkeys with him...

Good Stuff !!!

Good times !!!
PA elitist since 1979

paboxcall

Sounds like a great trip Donnie, very nice misfit you brought home!

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Pluffmud

Psalm 46:10

3bailey3

Awesome calls and a great pic of a dead bird!

Chris O

Beautiful call congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mossberg90MN

Looks nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoteduster

Very nice..nothing like a great box call

Spring Creek Calls

Congratulations on a great call. I have that wood combination in a paddle call.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Yoder409

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on July 20, 2021, 06:08:07 AM
Congratulations on a great call. I have that wood combination in a paddle call.

Thanks !!

How's it play on your paddle ??  This call is rasp from beginning to end.  Nice mature hen on the tops of the rails.  Great jake/gobbler on the fronts.  The bonus, to me, is that it's a domestic wood combo.  I have a Marlin with a macassar paddle and it's one of my all-time favorite calls.  And I have some purpleheart combos from other guys.  But I'm a sucker for domestic woods.
PA elitist since 1979