OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Pot call wood types  (Read 3099 times)

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Pot call wood types
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2021, 08:54:23 AM »
This interesting. Many top box call makers very often, if not always, write the woods and even where they got them on the call. I always thought that was pretty cool because it adds to the history of the call. I certainly wouldn't mind a pot call maker doing the same thing and it sure as heck wouldn't keep me from buying a great call.

Completely agree with this. Pot Call makers take note!
Not enough room for all that on a pot call.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Nitwit Elitist Whiner
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2021, 10:14:03 PM »
     I dont think writing  something like "John Smith 2022 Missouri Poplar" would be a problem fitting on a call or how it would hurt the looks too much but I understand some like a minimalistic aesthetic.
     So that leads me to wondering how much does the wood type of a pot actually matter for its sound? I know obviously the surface and striker woods matter a lot. I've been told the sounding board surface matters a lot too and I'm sure how and where the pot is contoured, shaped and thinned out must affect sound.  But does the  wood species matter as much as we think?
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2021, 10:50:30 PM »
Lonnie Mabry writes the wood type on all of his calls and I've never thought it took away anything from his calls.  He does not go into details, but it might read "Hackberry" or "Cedar-W" with the W denoting the wood soundboard with his signaturr below the wood

Offline Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Nitwit Elitist Whiner
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2021, 07:03:20 AM »
    Pat Strawser has done it on some pots and David Halloran etches his one piece strikers now indicating the wood types and makers mark. That's a really good idea if you ask me.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2021, 10:32:22 AM »
My question is, Why does the call builder have to do everything with writing all the information about the pot call, why don't you as the buyer keep up with your calls and type woods. Just my opinion.  All i want to see on the back of the pot call is his date and signature, I think after that it's my responsibility to keep up with my calls as to the date i purchase the call, wood type and sound board in my logbook or spreadsheet ...Again IMO....

Offline Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Nitwit Elitist Whiner
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2021, 11:22:32 PM »
     I dont know that any of it ultimately really matters. I just always thought that the info the old time box call makers put on their calls was kinda cool and made the calls more interesting, with the provenance of the woods, its history and all.
     Of course records can be kept of pot woods types and which strikers came with the calls, dates, and so on, but records get lost and calls get passed on to future generations and will "outlive" callmakers and original owners.