OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Pot call wood types  (Read 3097 times)

Online Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Nitwit Elitist Whiner
Pot call wood types
« on: July 18, 2021, 01:05:26 PM »
     I dont know why pot call makers don't write the wood type of the pot on it when they sign and date the call. Some woods are obvious but I can't always identify or remember all the wood types on my pots and strikers. I can't always tell a canarywood from a genadillo from a hormigo from a canarywood etc.
      My question is if I carefully write the wood type on the call in a fine tipped marker how much do you think that hurts the resale value? Would you not buy a pot you really wanted because it was written on? I've already done it on a number of my strikers but never on a pot yet. Obviously I don't have this problem with box calls!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Pot call wood types
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 01:21:56 PM »
I have seen one maker that writes a bunch of stuff on the call and because he does that I will no longer buy from him. I know it is sound first but I want my call to also look nice regardless of the wood. I have a album on Facebroke that I put all my calls and the strikers and how to condition them in so that I can remember as well as it serving for insurance claim if my house is ever broken into.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline boatpaddle

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 02:16:22 PM »
I used Tupperware containers for each of my pot calls...I cover the bottom of the container with the material used to line your toolbox drawers..

I use a sticky note to write the maker, wood type, surfaces, & the date, I got the call, which I put under the bottom cover material...

My memory is terrible...

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 04:47:05 PM »
I wouldn't take a marker myself and write on my pot calls.. What you need to do is start you spread sheet or just get you log book of some kind and keep up with all your calls with purchase date, price, wood type and builder . I know lot of guys do spread sheet on the computer, i just use log book..  I do think you will hurt the value of your pot calls etc.. IMO

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 08:18:19 PM »
I write the call/maker info on a piece of tape and stick the tape on the koozie that the pot is stored in.

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 08:27:53 PM »
Upon purchase I immediately write down the call specs.  As long as I know who it’s from I can figure out what it’s components are.  I list the wood, surface, and soundboard.  I had one pot I got a while back from Steve Morgenstern and I couldn’t figure out the wood.  I sent him pictures of the call and he confirmed what it was, which was pretty cool because it was Curupay.  Don’t see that very often. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Online Dazzler

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 09:15:04 PM »
At first I thought I’d just search my old gobbler history to identify the call I purchased. Quickly learned that people delete most of the info from their sale. Any insight as to why sale price and other info is deleted/edited?  Is that a forum rule?  It would be helpful to see past pricing on calls.

Currently just keep a spreadsheet.

Online Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Nitwit Elitist Whiner
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 09:36:09 PM »
Keeping a spreadsheet or log book is a great idea for an organized and conscientious individual who has his act together. I unfortunately am usually disheveled, forgetful and often distracted by unruly children and too many pets. So, this tape idea seems right for me. Can I put a small piece of tape on the bottom of the pot or will that affect its sound?

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 07:52:59 AM »
I wouldn't put any tape on the call. I hate when I buy a call from one of the competitions out there and they have the white sticky label on it. Try and pull one off without leaving sticky crap on the call.

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2021, 06:54:45 AM »
Keeping a spreadsheet or log book is a great idea for an organized and conscientious individual who has his act together. I unfortunately am usually disheveled, forgetful and often distracted by unruly children and too many pets. So, this tape idea seems right for me. Can I put a small piece of tape on the bottom of the pot or will that affect its sound?
Don’t confuse being organized and having an act together with being OCD lol.  I’d say I’m OCD but most folks might tell you I don’t have my act together.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline joeturkey

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2021, 07:36:23 AM »
I like to take pictures of the call and striker and add a note about what they are made of also the date and contact information for the call makers  and keep it on a thumb drive.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2021, 12:04:57 PM »
This interesting. Many top box call makers very often, if not always, write the woods and even where they got them on the call. I always thought that was pretty cool because it adds to the history of the call. I certainly wouldn't mind a pot call maker doing the same thing and it sure as heck wouldn't keep me from buying a great call.

Online Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Nitwit Elitist Whiner
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2021, 10:31:08 PM »
This interesting. Many top box call makers very often, if not always, write the woods and even where they got them on the call. I always thought that was pretty cool because it adds to the history of the call. I certainly wouldn't mind a pot call maker doing the same thing and it sure as heck wouldn't keep me from buying a great call.

Completely agree with this. Pot Call makers take note!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2021, 08:24:09 PM »

Completely agree with this. Pot Call makers take note!
I like it on the bottom of the box calls but there is much less of that beautiful grain to be seen on a pot call and I do not want anything other than the makers name and date on those, tastefully done of course.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Online Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Nitwit Elitist Whiner
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2021, 10:06:05 PM »
Don’t confuse being organized and having an act together with being OCD lol.  I’d say I’m OCD but most folks might tell you I don’t have my act together.

Lol!  Good point!