OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Metal pots  (Read 1945 times)

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Metal pots
« on: July 10, 2021, 09:50:43 PM »
 I have a copper pot from Mike Yingling and a number of both aluminum both bare and anodized from Halloran, Al Hobert and Lonnie Mabry. I like all the calls I have but seem to like the bare aluminum the best. I was just curious about the other types stainless steel and brass and where they rank for you guys among the metals and which makers you like?

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: Metal pots
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 09:30:56 AM »
I do not have stainless or brass, but I have a Gaboon Ebony Titanium from John Sinclair. Killer sound……
“Solo hunter”

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 09:38:47 AM »
I have a few , few ,. One  in particular
A 3 1/4" brass / slate not  screechy
Really nice sounding turkey
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 10:07:58 PM »
I do not have stainless or brass, but I have a Gaboon Ebony Titanium from John Sinclair. Killer sound……
Failed to mention the titanium, thanks for mentioning it Tom. Do you like it better than copper or aluminum or don't have a preference? I'd like to try another metal at some point besides the aluminum and copper I have.

Offline Seahunt

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 04:32:39 PM »
I am a big metal pot call fan.  I LOVE my John Sinclair brass, I have (3). Love titanium also have 3 of Johns and one other from a another call maker. SS have but have not used much.  I too like aluminum surfaces. Everybody else likes glass. I am not a fan of them, have tried different ones and have not found one that "I" like, but maybe the turkey would.

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 05:43:09 PM »
Been through a bunch of metal surfaced pot callers. The only two I really like and have had success with are Lyman's Bocote aluminum and Sinclair's Mun Ebony brass.

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 07:04:40 PM »
I am a big metal pot call fan.  I LOVE my John Sinclair brass, I have (3). Love titanium also have 3 of Johns and one other from a another call maker. SS have but have not used much.  I too like aluminum surfaces. Everybody else likes glass. I am not a fan of them, have tried different ones and have not found one that "I" like, but maybe the turkey would.
  Hey Sea do you have a preference between the brass and titanium?

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 08:21:51 PM »
I have a Lonzo aluminum in a acrylic pot i like a lot.

Offline Wvgobbler

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2021, 09:32:37 PM »
Paul Platz cherry aluminum call and Lonzo acrylic alum/alum are the two best aluminum calls I’ve ever ran!!!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2021, 12:21:05 AM »
I have a couple of Copper calls, one from Mike Yingling, another from Jessie Jefferson. I also have a brass and a titanium from John Sinclair, a Anodized black aluminum from Footballer, a aluminum and a slate double sided Osage Pot from Ghost Maker Custom Calls. I think the best to my ears are the two copper pots though they sound completely different and the Sinclair Titanium are the ones I like the most. The Footballer sounded great before I made a mistake and conditioned it with a stone, still sounds good but not as good as that sweet spot did before I messed it up. I will be getting another from him.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2021, 12:36:13 AM »
Other than aluminum I have a brass and titanium from Mike Yingling that are both great calls. Honestly I can't say I prefer one over the other. They both have different tone and rasp but both sound great.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2021, 05:11:57 PM »
Interesting, loving the responses and knowledge guys much appreciated

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk