OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: A400 Xtreme Plus Pattern advice needed!  (Read 2766 times)

YukonC

A400 Xtreme Plus Pattern advice needed!
« on: July 09, 2021, 10:35:06 AM »
Okay, need some hopefully first hand experience here. I have a an Beretta A400 xtreme plus 26” that I purchased last year. I initially put a Burris FF3 on it and went to town with what I knew was a strong choke being Indian creek. I decided on the .670 based on the little info I could find in forums. Not many use this gun I purchased. Anyhow I went to the range to pattern and zero the sight. I had a few ammo choices to put through it and tried Long beard #5s and 6s, Apex 3” #9s and Federal tss #9s 3 1/2”. The best out of the group was LB 6s and Fed 3 1/2” 9s. The apex was not good at all shockingly. Still I wasn’t impressed as the best of them all (fed tss) was only getting me in the 340s inside the 10” circle. So I decided I would buy another choke that was mentioned which was the Rob Robert’s .660. I went to the range a week or so ago and to my surprise the red dot was WAY off zero. No drops or anything occurred in between, just sat in the safe on the gun. I immediately lost faith in that and thank god I noticed it at the range and not in the field. So I decided well let’s see how true this expensive as gun shoots with double beads. Thankfully with the beads aligned it’s right on. Anyhow all I had was the fed Tss with me and I shot both chokes. The Rob Robert’s produced even less inside 10”. The Indian creek shot slightly better in the 360s but damn I am expecting to be in the 400s with tss 9s. Maybe I am flat out wrong but my prior gun the 835 had over 500. So what’s next? I’m sure a bunch of ammo suggestions and choke suggestions will come my way and I am committed to spending the money on these things to get it better but if someone can analyze my pattern and possibly tell me what my next steps should be? I also added a photo of the beretta OEM full. Each picture should be in order with the back following the front. The green target was from my first patterning session with the red dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Old Timer

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: A400 Xtreme Plus Pattern advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 10:19:28 PM »
Patterns seem pretty even. I would be happy if I got that out of my Beretta. I use a .680 and lb #5 also old school federal 3inch #6 and does a decent job on birds. Your Beretta is a straight shooter if your looking for bigger numbers you'll have play the choke and ammo game. But if you ask me a fly could not get through them patterns. I also have a 835 and their hard to beat but alot heavier. I think you have a fine shooter in mho. Good luck

Offline WV Ridge Reaper

• Longbeard
A400 Xtreme Plus Pattern advice needed!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 11:44:31 PM »
I’d either call sumtoy tell him what your after or try to find a 660/665 Indian Creek…either one on swap chokes for you to make sure your happy and getting what your after.

Your red dot issue is more then likely you switching chokes..Anytime you switch a choke and or load do not expect the same out come..Hence the old saying pattern your gun before you hunt..I have red dots my self…I’m not a huge fan but if the gun don’t shoot straight or can not be fixed with tru glo sights a man don’t have much choice.

Can’t say a lot on ammo..I load myself..I don’t trust anything federal sales from the chasing lot number days with the fed HW shells..Longbeards killed turkeys when they came out and will still do it 10 years from now..Sad to say but a quick search on here shows that the quality of the shells really went down hill after the first year.

I’d recommend foxtrot ammo if I had to buy a TSS shell

YukonC

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 12:45:42 AM »
I’d either call sumtoy tell him what your after or try to find a 660/665 Indian Creek…either one on swap chokes for you to make sure your happy and getting what your after.

Your red dot issue is more then likely you switching chokes..Anytime you switch a choke and or load do not expect the same out come..Hence the old saying pattern your gun before you hunt..I have red dots my self…I’m not a huge fan but if the gun don’t shoot straight or can not be fixed with tru glo sights a man don’t have much choice.

Can’t say a lot on ammo..I load myself..I don’t trust anything federal sales from the chasing lot number days with the fed HW shells..Longbeards killed turkeys when they came out and will still do it 10 years from now..Sad to say but a quick search on here shows that the quality of the shells really went down hill after the first year.

I’d recommend foxtrot ammo if I had to buy a TSS shell
The red dot lost zero using the exact setup I used to zero it. Didn’t even take the gun apart or remove the choke between. The Burris failed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kwild835

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 01:11:48 AM »
360 hits in a 10" will give you pattern density to kill a turkey waaaaay farther than someone should be shooting at turkeys.  Your pattern looks even, so it isn't over choked.  Try to get an Indian Creek or Sumtoy .660 and tighten it up.  I haven't saw many Roberts chokes patterns that were all that impressive.   
If your Burris failed it is a rarity and it sucks because it will ruin your confidence.  Look at the Holosun sights, they are built like a tank and I haven't heard any problems of losing zero.
Good Luck in your search!

Offline lacire

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 03:24:05 AM »
Patterns seem pretty even. I would be happy if I got that out of my Beretta. I use a .680 and lb #5 also old school federal 3inch #6 and does a decent job on birds. Your Beretta is a straight shooter if your looking for bigger numbers you'll have play the choke and ammo game. But if you ask me a fly could not get through them patterns. I also have a 835 and their hard to beat but alot heavier. I think you have a fine shooter in mho. Good luck

You have a nice gun, my son shoots a Beretta A400 in 20ga. I’m with Old Timer, your patterns would kill any turkey I’ve ever shot. How far are you wanting your gun to shoot?
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2021, 07:45:49 AM »
Patterns look great - 360/10 is waay more than plenty. All the pellets outside that 10" are wiggle room. I wouldn't spend another dollar on chokes but I would start rolling my own TSS. That's the only way to really assure consistency and availability of what you want when you want it.