turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Hunters Shot in Two Separate Events

Started by mookyj, July 04, 2021, 11:09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mookyj

Two unfortunate events that were being tracked have been reported by reliable sources. This brings the 2021 Spring turkey season up to nine hunters and one hiker shot. More details on prior reported incidents: http://www.turkey-talk.com/tblog/?p=2008 http://www.turkey-talk.com/tblog/?p=2051

It should be noted that the first incident reported below is single sourced from a local town police department facebook page. No search conducted thus far show the event picked up by local/regional/state/national news outlets. The second incident appeared in two legitimate news sources. Should you come across additional relevant sources and would like to share, send an email to mjoyner@joyneroutdoormedia.com It is also important to note that several anti-hunting blogs that I come across also scan and search the internet for any fodder that supports their agenda to abolish hunting....  More https://www.turkey-talk.com/tblog/?p=2139
Mike Joyner
joyneroutdoormedia.com

GobbleNut

The accident in New Mexico hits pretty close to home.  I live in the same community as this fellow and hunt the area where he was killed.  I didn't know him personally but suspect I had run into him at one time or another.  Although no details have been reported on this accident, I suspect it was an accidental-discharge incident rather than a mistaken-for-game shooting.  I hope to hear at some point what actually happened but no specific details have been released to my knowledge.

We have accidental discharge incidents every other year or so around here, but I can't remember the last time we had a mistaken-for-game turkey hunting accident.  Seems like it has been decades since someone around here shot another hunter thinking it was a turkey.  If I get details on this incident, I will report. 

mookyj

For our group. we want to know the why, how, charges filed, disposition of case etc. Nearly all the rrports I follow miss the mark on any significant details. With the exception of the one upgraded to a murder charge last winter there is no followup from local news reporting and as with many of them it is invasive to the families to push for more facts of the matter. Foil requests if honored are a way to do it, but it skirts around many families wanting to preserve their privacy in a difficult event. I will be writing an opinion piece soon to reflect on the subject.
Mike Joyner
joyneroutdoormedia.com

RutnNStrutn

I'll never understand it, especially for turkey hunters. It's not like you're shooting a few hundred yards with a rifle. Not only that, but you don't shoot unless you can identify your target and whatever is beyond it, and then take an ethical shot. People that shoot into bushes or at movement they can't identify should be prosecuted, sent to jail, and have their guns and hunting privileges taken away for life. Shooting a camouflaged hunter is bad enough, but how in the hell do you shoot a hiker? ???

mookyj

The hiker being shot story got huge traction and was picked up nationally. It is being used to examine current multi use on public lands. There may be far reaching consequences from a single event, and those oppose to us are not wasting the opportunity to run with it.
Mike Joyner
joyneroutdoormedia.com