OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: They start early  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Jim K

They start early
« on: July 02, 2021, 09:18:35 AM »
I’m a taxidermist and have a bird feeder outside my shop. I put cracked corn on the ground

I have turkeys feeding on the corn. The other day I watched 2 poults fight and doing fighting purrs.

This morning I watched one squat and another mounted it. I know it was a dominance thing not breeding but it sure is interesting to watch them interact.

The other day it was REAL hot. A hen came in. She walked around with her beak open( do they pant?) and she’d get in the shade and open her wings to get air underneath.

What fascinating birds they are. I can’t get enough of them. I know you all understand that statement.

Offline grayfox

• Longbeard
Re: They start early
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 09:24:53 AM »
That had to be pretty cool to watch.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 09:32:55 AM »
What a wonderful situation to be in, Jim!  Unfortunately, the nearest wild turkeys to where I live are about a two-hour drive away.  ....Bummer    :(

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 09:33:37 AM »
For anyone interested in seeing poults do this activity check out Michael Chamberlain's page on Facebook in of of his most recent posts he discusses this and has some great photos of the action. The NWTF also shared this post to their Facebook page.

Turkeys sure are some fascinating critters. The more we learn about them the more respect in understanding we can have for them.

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 10:37:20 AM »
We need a live feed , of all this turkey activity.

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 11:27:41 AM »

This morning I watched one squat and another mounted it.

Instinctive behavior, like running to a decoy, but more natural.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2021, 12:45:43 PM »
Greg, if you look up "Crush Cam" on HD on tap or links from Lee and Tiffany's home page you  can watch 2 different feeds of all the animal's that come to the feeder. There is 2 different flocks of turkeys that come thru everyday. Cool to see the 2 different age groups of poults interact with each other. 2 nice Tom's have been missing lately, but do pass thru, besides all the great bucks.http://www.thecrush.tv/deer-cams/live-deer-cam
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline Jim K

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 03:52:23 PM »
The other week a buddy was helping me in my shop. We worked into the evening and some turkeys and poults came to the feeder. We turned out the lights and watched them.

After awhile a hen laid down and 4-5 poults crawled under her wings and belly. Fascinating! I knew they did that on a limb when roosting. But I never saw that before. We were blessed. Here’s a picture of her. I hope you can make it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jim K

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2021, 04:05:45 PM »
We need a live feed , of all this turkey activity.

I should have videod it on my phone. I’ll try and get some. Can you post a video on tapatalk ? I’m still getting used to it. I have to make my photos smaller or it says they’re to big???????

Offline Yoteduster

• Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2021, 01:05:31 AM »
That's a cool picture Jim k

Offline Jimspur

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2021, 01:29:02 PM »
Thanks Jim - great picture.