OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Making the cuts  (Read 3009 times)

Offline MRS

Making the cuts
« on: June 30, 2021, 07:55:31 PM »
Anyone know of or would be willing to make a step by step video on
How to make the cuts of the batwing cut.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: Making the cuts
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 09:51:19 AM »
Sounds like another project for Ben (compton30) to pursue! 

...Simply stated, the batwing is basically just a center V-cut with the side tabs either cut off or pulled off.  That is pretty obvious, so I am guessing that your question relates to how you hold the call with one hand and cut with the other?  That can be done, but it takes some dexterity.  I don't make many batwings, but if I did, I think I would devise some sort of small vice-like dealybob to hold the call so I could cut the tabs with one hand while holding them with the other. 

As it is, when I decide to make a batwing, I just pop the tabs off by just grabbing them and yanking them off.  Granted, that is not the most precise method of accomplishing the task, but it will work in a pinch.   :D ;D

Offline MRS

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 08:23:32 AM »
 Big fingers are getting in the way to make a nice cut line like production calls
I did reverse my cut direction and that seemed to help.

A clamp or small vise like a  fellow mentioned on another post might be the solution for me too

Offline SCGobbler

• Ya can't fix stupid!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 11:47:02 PM »
I started using a small clamp from harbor freight to clamp the call to the edge of my table. The problem is the figuring out how you are going to cut the tabs off when the tVle gets in the way of your scissors.

Sent from Gobbler’s Branch on the go!
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Offline MRS

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 04:56:06 PM »
I have gotten alot better by not making any cuts till after I apply tape to the call, this gives me more material to hold onto.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 12:30:51 PM »
Sounds like another project for Ben (compton30) to pursue! 

...Simply stated, the batwing is basically just a center V-cut with the side tabs either cut off or pulled off.  That is pretty obvious, so I am guessing that your question relates to how you hold the call with one hand and cut with the other?  That can be done, but it takes some dexterity.  I don't make many batwings, but if I did, I think I would devise some sort of small vice-like dealybob to hold the call so I could cut the tabs with one hand while holding them with the other. 

As it is, when I decide to make a batwing, I just pop the tabs off by just grabbing them and yanking them off.  Granted, that is not the most precise method of accomplishing the task, but it will work in a pinch.   :D ;D

Coming up!

Offline toneloc

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2022, 09:57:26 PM »
One other suggestion in case you tie flys.  I’ve found a fly tying vise is the perfect 3rd hand to hold the frame while cutting.  Makes it way easier…not sure what a cheap fly vise runs…

Offline Lonehowl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2022, 06:30:07 PM »
I've mentioned before that some guys use a small clamp or vise to hold the call while cutting. That may help some, but personally, I prefer to put on the tape and hold onto the tape while cutting the latex. The tape just gives me something to hold onto...especially when pulling on the latex to make a cut like say, a bat cut or cutter type call. Generally I'm holding the call with my two middle fingers, and stretching/pulling with my thumb and pointer finger...if that makes sense.
Mark

Offline spursRus

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2022, 09:28:13 AM »
I also put my tape on before making the cuts. I make the cuts and then i clamp the corners on the tape into my jig(feather ridge hand jig) to remove the tabs.