turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Oklahoma 2022

Started by blake_08, June 28, 2021, 10:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blake_08

It's official, Oklahoma is going to one bird statewide and delaying season 10 days for spring 2022.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

Another screw job by odwc.  Their biologist can present charts and graphs and talk about the low population but can't offer any real solutions when the solution is the elephant in the room.  To many predators.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

TonyTurk

Welp, looks like I will be hunting more states next year...

deerhunt1988

Another side effect of state's delaying their season/reducing limits is the added pressure to other states....Which in turn could cause those states to do the same or restrict non-resident opportunities.

Just this past spring we've saw the following changes for spring 2022:

Alabama: Delay public land seasons 1-2 weeks, reduce bag limits to 2 birds/public land area.
Georgia: Delay public land seasons 3+ weeks, reduce bag limits to 1 bird/public area. Enact more draw hunts.

and now Oklahoma.

That is going to be A LOT of displaced traveling turkey hunters wanting to go somewhere else to kick their season off early! And they are running out of options. Just something to think about...

blake_08

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on June 29, 2021, 06:46:58 AM
Another side effect of state's delaying their season/reducing limits is the added pressure to other states....Which in turn could cause those states to do the same or restrict non-resident opportunities.

Just this past spring we've saw the following changes for spring 2022:

Alabama: Delay public land seasons 1-2 weeks, reduce bag limits to 2 birds/public land area.
Georgia: Delay public land seasons 3+ weeks, reduce bag limits to 1 bird/public area. Enact more draw hunts.

and now Oklahoma.

That is going to be A LOT of displaced traveling turkey hunters wanting to go somewhere else to kick their season off early! And they are running out of options. Just something to think about...
I agree. I've never had much interest in hunting another state except New Mexico and that wasn't as much about the turkey hunting as it was the shed hunting. I always travel within Oklahoma and hunt different areas, but what will most likely happen next year is as soon as (if) I kill my 1 Oklahoma bird, I'll be headed to a neighboring state. If it'll help our birds, then I'm all for making rule changes, but SE Oklahoma has had a 1 bird limit and a later season for about 12 years and it hasn't helped here.

TonyTurk

Another thing that will likely happen is that guys just won't report their first kill and will continue hunting.  I am sure some are already doing that, but this could make the problem worse.

dah

They aren't biologist , book nerds , unable to comprehend all the diversity that is mother nature . How I long for years past . This is all they have ? I promise you the real hunters can do better than this . We will probably have a couple good years recruitment and they will pat themselves on the back . Never mind they haven't been able to pat their backs in the se for ten years with the same reg. Insanity , expecting different results with the same regulation . They remind me and act like some other people I hear in Washington D.C.

deadbuck

So, what do you guys think Oklahoma fish and Wildlife should do right now instead of lowering bag limit?

Gooserbat

Quote from: deadbuck on June 29, 2021, 10:20:37 AM
So, what do you guys think Oklahoma fish and Wildlife should do right now instead of lowering bag limit?

I'm an Okie, and probably have as much vested interest in Oklahoma turkey hunting as anyone.  I'm in favor of the two bird limit instead of the three until we turn it around.  Unfortunately I don't think the wildlife department is going to turn it around.  It is going to be hunters who do. 

First I believe that the state should have been broken into six zones NE, SE North, South, SW, and NW.  One tom per zone.  Then the Tom turkey definition should be changed to exclude bearded hens and Jake's.  I don't think the later season is a bad idea and non residents going to a single tag is fine with me. 

Now for the big deal.  Oklahoma is a two buck state and with that in mind start a predator bounty.  I propose a point system.  Coyotes 4 points, bobcats 4 points skunks, 2 points possum's 2 points, hogs 6 points and coons5 points.  Once a person gets 30 points they have met the requirements.  Unless you check in online, via submitting a photo you can not buy your second buck or turkey tag.  Simple reduction of predators. 

The biggest reason people don't control the predators is they are two preoccupied with other things. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

blake_08

Honestly, I'd like to see nonresidents limited to 1 bird while residents keep a 2 bird limit. The department is only making $10 dollars off of the 2nd tag. In the meeting, they said of the hunters who checked more than 1 bird, over 40% were non-resident hunters. A 1 bird limit for NR would have saved quite a few gobblers. I know some argue that saving gobblers doesn't necessarily have a huge impact on turkey population health, but that's what these regulations are trying to do, so 1 bird for NR would accomplish that as well.

I'd like to see the department put more emphasis on predator control and encourage more that as well. Loosen restrictions on predator hunting at night would be nice.

I don't have the answers, but where i live in the SE corner we already have the rules they applied to the remainder of the state and it hasn't helped yet. That's all i know.

blake_08

Me and Sam were typing our replies at the same time and said basically the same thing. Kind of echoes a thought i had when i seen the proposed rule changes. When the ODWC sent out the survey, they were asking for comment on going to a 2 bird state. They never said anything about a 1 bird state. In the meeting, the biologist presenting the data said they had overwhelming support of changing the bag limit, but it's only because they asked about going to a 2 bird limit. Had they asked about 1 bird limit, i believe they would have been faced with strong opposition in their survey. I kinda feel like they snuck that in on us and i don't like it. I know it doesn't matter, but i don't think I'll be participating in any more of their surveys in the future.

deadbuck

It wouldnt surprise me if states that are in dire shape  suspend NR hunting in the near future

Mkeller

I live in ks and would be fine with restrictions for nonresidents in any state that is having a decline in turkey populations.  States need to get a better understanding of what the actual population is, what direction is it trending towards, and what pressure can it withstand.  Me personally, the days of unlimited over the counter tags and any bird fall seasons needs to be looked at closer, why do you want to kick a struggling resource while it is already down.  To me at that point it becomes more about the dollar and less about the resource.

Tail Feathers

Hate to hear OK went to 1 bird total.  I thought the one bird per county thing would help but I guess it wasn't enough.  I can't blame them, the resource needs protecting.  I hope they take some action such as bounties to decrease predator populations.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

dah

The department took a survey and received thousands of responses and suggestions but didn't act on even one . Why . Not even one . The collective body of turkey hunters in Oklahoma couldn't even produce one usable suggestion . They opened the book to page one then closed it  . Don't confuse this with hunters unhappy with lost opportunity , this is about hunters wanting real solutions to a bird and a hunting heritage we hold dear and believe other measures need to be implemented . This forum for the last few years has been  engulfed with suggestions  and ideas on dwindling numbers , the department knows , it is no secret . Why would they not enact at least one . here is some of my suggestions .
1. Test blood samples of harvested birds .
2. Prohibit horse back riding in wma's during nesting season .
3. Stop controlled burns in nesting season .
4. Control harvest by zones , not counties .
5. Outlaw any and all hen harvest , duh.
6. Increase opportunity on predator hunting , extend fur bearer season .
  Just a few , don't want to just be repeating what has been said . I am  not against out of state , would support a one tag out of state . I believe we are all Americans and share in her resources .
  I believe the department is getting political and like a politician they don't listen to their constituents , this heritage is to important to me to watch what I believe is mishandling .
  I readily admit , Turkey hunting is a part of me and I enjoy it immensely .