OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Benelli info/help (poi)  (Read 3662 times)

Offline WW

• The Boss Gobbler
Benelli info/help (poi)
« on: June 10, 2021, 06:00:48 PM »
I patterned a benelli ultra light today and at 40 yards, it shot to the right about 5-6 inches and 6 inches low. Can this be corrected so that I can shoot it with the factory bead? I like the bead and don’t want optics unless it’s a must. Just wondering if shims or anything else will correct the point of impact..

Offline Ozarks Hillbilly

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Benelli info/help (poi)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 11:07:31 AM »
If you want to take the time and spend the money you might stumble upon a choke / shell combo that will shoot closer to POA.  Other than that aim high left or add adjustable sights or some sort of optics.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 11:23:59 AM »
Someone on another thread mentioned look at magazine tube for straightness. Tighten magazine cap if it’s seems straight....little experimenting there worked for him.....good luck.....
“Solo hunter”

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 01:21:27 PM »
you bend mag tube not barrel to get it to shoot Poa/Poi
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline Kyle_Ott

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 10:03:38 PM »
I patterned a benelli ultra light today and at 40 yards, it shot to the right about 5-6 inches and 6 inches low. Can this be corrected so that I can shoot it with the factory bead? I like the bead and don’t want optics unless it’s a must. Just wondering if shims or anything else will correct the point of impact..

The issue with Benelli POA/POI is not the straightness of the barrel or any other fallacy.  It's simply that Benelli does a poor job installing their magazine tubes; many of them are not truly centered to the receiver.  When you screw the magazine cap down tightly onto the barrel ring, it tightens the barrel against the mag tube and it pulles the barrel in the direction of the misalignment. 

There are countless conversations about this with the professional 3 gun shooters on brianenos.com. One of the former Benelli shooters even developed a jig to true up the M2 12 ga mag tubes for resolving this issue.  They did not develop a jig for the 20s because 20s aren't use in 3 gun but I'm sure it could be done. 

The easiest way to fix this is to simply and GENTLY, bend the magazine tube in the direction you need the pattern to go.  Minor adjustments go a long way when you're doing this so don't be overzealous.  Simple fix.

Enjoy your gun and goodluck.

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 01:06:00 AM »
I would bend the barrel first if it was mine before I bent my mag tube.  Just a suggestion but it's your gun.  Elevation can be fixed with a different height bead, or even a file .

Online PALongspur

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 03:02:56 PM »
I would bend the barrel first if it was mine before I bent my mag tube.  Just a suggestion but it's your gun.  Elevation can be fixed with a different height bead, or even a file .

:anim_25:

Offline Bingoman206

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 08:42:08 PM »
you bend mag tube not barrel to get it to shoot Poa/Poi
Do you mean put a bend in the tube or tilt the tube off the reciever?

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 07:51:21 AM »
 :morning:
Huh. Spend all that money for a Benelli and get that kind of quality control..?   :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
Benelli info/help (poi)
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 07:14:28 PM »
I have POI/POA issues with several of the guns I have, including Benellis.  That’s why I only use a red dot anymore.  I treat my turkey guns like deer rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline Jstocks

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2021, 07:33:03 AM »
Different chokes, loads will definitely pattern differently. I’ve seen as much as 8” difference between an 1 3/8 oz load and a 2 1/8 oz load in a Remington 870 youth. The heavier load had a similar velocity tested data, but shot low and right. This showed itself one day while hunting a buddy of mine learned two lessons at the same time.
Called in 2 gobblers and I whiffed with the 410 (learned after investigating that you must split the petals (wad was Pre slit, but not verified before loading and petals were still connected on wad batch). Second gobbler runs out and stops and he shoots at him at 40 yards, hits in the dirt (wet dirt road) behind the turkey twice!
We went home disgusted and did some investigating. Anytime I change loads, or load choke combos.

I have an older Benelli and it shoots low with the load/choke I like to shoot. I am going to look into this mag tube information.

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2021, 10:14:08 AM »
You bend the barrel you throw a curve ball.   You move the mag tube VERY little you move a straight line.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline perrytrails

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2021, 11:29:34 AM »
You bend the barrel you throw a curve ball.   You move the mag tube VERY little you move a straight line.
Makes total sense. If anyone would know it’s Mr Sumtoy.

I’ve owned a bunch of shotguns. Seen this a few times myself. Once on a Winchester 1300 and a Benelli M2.

Offline RND1983

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2021, 12:32:46 PM »
Great information here by William. I mentioned this to a buddy who has had huge issues with Benelli shooting straight and he was floored.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2021, 12:12:11 PM »
That is a great way of explaining it. You the man!