News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Kentucky Limits

Started by Cowboy, June 10, 2021, 08:06:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowboy

Quote from: topnotch on June 12, 2021, 08:59:17 PM
Lowering limits and not killing hens in the fall season is a positive in our state. I wish they would make Jake's off limits also.
Travel for Merriams and Rios is always a treat I'd hate to give up.
Are hens really an issue? I believe there are several hens in my home state. Not advocating the harvest of fall hens, but is that really the root cause of anything? I see several hens without poults in my area each and every year. Poult and nesting predation big factors in this issue.  Habitat loss another.  Private land is being chopped up and sold off for small acreage home sites. I missed an opportunity to buy a small block myself. Only 6 acres but it was a thicket area that joined our 54 acre farm. Now it's being cleaned up for a home site. And yes it was a nesting place for turkey. Big farmers also want to clean every square inch of their fields as well. No edges or cover in those fence rows.  I see that every day also.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

owlhoot

Quote from: Cowboy on June 15, 2021, 05:05:07 AM
Quote from: topnotch on June 12, 2021, 08:59:17 PM
Lowering limits and not killing hens in the fall season is a positive in our state. I wish they would make Jake's off limits also.
Travel for Merriams and Rios is always a treat I'd hate to give up.
Are hens really an issue? I believe there are several hens in my home state. Not advocating the harvest of fall hens, but is that really the root cause of anything? I see several hens without poults in my area each and every year. Poult and nesting predation big factors in this issue.  Habitat loss another.  Private land is being chopped up and sold off for small acreage home sites. I missed an opportunity to buy a small block myself. Only 6 acres but it was a thicket area that joined our 54 acre farm. Now it's being cleaned up for a home site. And yes it was a nesting place for turkey. Big farmers also want to clean every square inch of their fields as well. No edges or cover in those fence rows.  I see that every day also.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Hey cowboy. There seems to be a lot of issues all leading to the same thing. It also seems that we can only do so much to try help.
In this case of the hens , in my opinion anyway, that the more we have = 1. Don't shoot them. 2. Try to protect them by doing what we can. The better chance they have to reproduce.
Maybe in the case of saturation , the more hens we have nesting the better chance they have of escaping those predators.

bossgobbler

Anytime you allow hens to live and not be shot it has to help. Sometimes there are hens who are very successful at hatching a nest and raising the poults. If that hen is shot because she has a beard or is shot in the fall you are potentially eliminating many many future turkeys. In my opinion no hen should ever be shot. That is especially true right now, in a time when we all seem to agree that turkey populations in many areas are struggling and declining. Every hen counts because any hen could be the very best hen in that area when it comes to a successful nest and beyond.

roberthyman14

What of all states lowered non residents to just 1 bird? 

Prostaff member for Old Crow Custom Calls

joey46

Agree a non-res limit should be one in any state having this population crisis.  One isn't a bad idea crisis or not.  Just a imo.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

:newmascot:
Quote from: joey46 on June 16, 2021, 08:42:56 AM
Agree a non-res limit should be one in any state having this population crisis.  One isn't a bad idea crisis or not.  Just a imo.
I agree but there are a lot of people who are greedy and don't check their birds in and shoot over the limit.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Yelpster

Quote from: MISSISSIPPI Double beard on June 16, 2021, 09:31:00 AM
:newmascot:
Quote from: joey46 on June 16, 2021, 08:42:56 AM
I agree but there are a lot of people who are greedy and don't check their birds in and shoot over the limit.

agreed
the reduction to one bird for non res would lighten up the pressure on some states for some people that are destination states

Old Timer

I like the fun of the hunt. I do not need a lot. But a bird now and then would not hurt. New York has cut back the fall season and a 1 bird spring limit would not hurt my feelings. Just saying.

Here turkey turkey turkey

To disarm the people...Is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788

hotspur

I have been hunting a limited access area for the past four years, and the turkey numbers are increasing in these woods