turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gooserbat giveaway Product review 2021

Started by Gooserbat, June 03, 2021, 01:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

Okay let's review some stuff that we tried out for 2021  post a picture of something that you used in 2021 that impressed you.  It can be a new striker, binoculars, hunting stool, or a new head lamp... anything you want that pertains to turkey hunting.

Rules for the giveaway are:

One item per user

I'll draw via Google number generator and your post # is your entry number

Must post a picture of the item.

Must write a three sentence minimum review.

Be honest, if it wasn't up to par tell us why.

Winner gets a Thunder Wonder Striker, a Clay-More and a PLS diaphragm, and Gooserbat casual cap.

I'll go first.

Kowa BDII 8X32 binoculars.

These are not cheap at $400 advertised price price (shop around and you can get in them for $350) but there is a reason so many bird watchers use Kowa.  These can be focused to the finite detail which is why I bought them.  Great binoculars for the woods for picking apart timber and brush.  Still big enough to glass at distance.  (I used mine out to a mile.)  The light quality is good for the size. These are very light weight, and compact.  Overall I really like them and these are exactly everything I could want for a pair of compact binoculars in the $400 range.   

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

eggshell

Dang, I used absolutely nothing new, except time. How do you take a picture of that. I would say time is great and some applications work and some don't . It sucks some and is great some, but I want more of it

Sir-diealot

The purple slate call I made. Had a very nice sound to it which I was worried about because the glass soundboard had shifted on me when I put it on and I did not know it. It was the third pot call I have made and I intend to do others. If anybody ever wants to do a kit do yourself a favor and look up crgamecalls on ebay or Cross Road Game Calls on Facebroke. Including a picture of his logo as there is another company with a very similar name. He took the time to answer all my questions with each call I have put together and has helped me with 2 other kits I gave a way as well.  Edit: I was not thinking, I can't win again this year, please draw another number if mine comes up please.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

bcuda

I tried out the Barronett Ox 5 Hunting Ground Blind for my very first ever Turkey hunt this past spring and it was awesome. I loved everything about it it was a little heavy to move around but it was well worth it in my opinion. Very Roomy plenty of leg room and lots of height ( I can stand up in it and I am 6 ft 1) and the one way see through mesh was really nice. Easy set up and take down also. only drawback is I shot through the one way mesh cause I forgot to pull it up before the Big old Tom got close, so I just shot through it and now have a big hole in it.

Dazzler

This was my third Turkey hunting season and the first one taking a glass pot to the woods. Picked up in the classifieds a while back. I was impressed and surprised at how easy it was to get a gobble with this thing. Kept it in my holster from Yoder409, so I always had it handy.

Maker is Andy Kaiser, and it has quickly become my favorite call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoreguy

I got a savage 220 turkey this year. I liked the way that the gun patterned with the Indian creek .555 and TSS #9 hand loads.  When I got the gun I had to work the bolt a lot to get it to cycle empty smoother. I did not have very good luck with the hand loads cycling even after working the bolt. I need to contact savage about the issue. I did not need a second shot this year but I would have been in trouble if I did need a second shot. Other than the cycling issue I liked the gun.  It was my first year shooting a 20 gauge and hand loads as well. All in all the season went well.

bobk

This year, I recieved a Soft Talker made by Bill Lyman.  I've hunted plenty of these callers by other makers. They all work well. To me this caller gives a much nicer and more realistic yelps, clucks and purrs than the others. More important it has a sound that turkeys  love.

Thanks for the opportunity  Gooserbat.

Tom007

New Snakewood Old Gobbler pushpin helped me bag em this year.....sounds as good as it looks. Never will leave my vest...thanks for the support Gooserbat
"Solo hunter"

Spring Creek Calls

My new tool to take to the woods was a 28 gauge Mossberg International SA-28. With Foxtrot 1.5oz load in 9.5's it throws an awesome pattern at 40 yards and in. I also patterned Apex 9's and was very close numbers wise at 40. Functioned flawlessly out of the box with 3/4oz game loads and the TSS loads and everything in-between. I did install an MCarbo trigger spring to reduce the trigger pull weight and a Briley XFULL choke. POA/POI were very good, which was great as I shoot TRUGLO sights. Two longbeards succumbed to it this first year.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

GobbleNut

Finally broke down and jumped on the OnX fad.  Although I have misgivings about the increasing use of technology in what we do, I must begrudgingly admit I am glad I did.  If used for nothing else, the ability to identify public lands and access routes for hunting makes the product worth while.  All of the extra features are just icing on the cake, and there are a lot of them.  For someone like me that uses an older, android smart phone, there are some things that are frustrating, but paired with a newer model I-Phone or the like, the app is worth its weight in gold for hunting use, or any other outdoors-related use for the public-lands user. 

I will admit that these mapping apps concern me a bit in that they just add another layer of technology that ultimately eliminate the need for outdoorsmen to learn the map-reading and "back country" skills that used to be an integral part of becoming an accomplished sportsman.  In my opinion, ultimately, these things increase the ability for the "Average Joe" to be successful, which in turn puts more pressure on our wildlife resources.  Personally, I believe that will eventually lead to reduced opportunity across the board. 

Nonetheless, even with my concerns about where things like this lead us "ethically", I have to admit it is a great product....

turkeymanjim

This year I wanted to try a trumpet. I called Greg Gwaltney about a trumpet, and boy did he deliver.  The call is a snakewood with a snakewood mouthpiece, the call sounds as good as it looks. The gobbler in the picture fell for it 100 %.He also had 20 tail feathers. Thanks Greg.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Big Jeremy

Not my dedicated turkey gun, but got a new Retay Masai Mara this year, and it sure did the trick on this old bird!

Love everything about the gun so far! Pretty light for a 12 ga, shoulders well, great turkey pattern with a .660 Sumtoy, good flying bird patterns with factory chokes, and ha cycled everything with ease to this point! I love the bottomland/bronze cerakote look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neill_Prater

Gooserbat, thanks for the opportunity. I intended to write this review at some point, and this gave me the incentive.

As per a previous post, I purchased the Alps High Ridge hunting chair because of some issues which made it difficult for me to get out of a "gobbler lounger" type chair, which I have been using for many years.

Rated at 300 lbs capacity, I found the chair to be sturdy and well engineered. It comes in a brown carrying case which seems relatively durable, but is equipped with only a short carry strap. I prefer a longer strap so as to carry across my back, so ditched the case and attached a duffle strap to the frame. Why not a camo case with a longer strap? I don't know, but it's probably a case of the engineers not being hunters.

Why is the carry case such a big deal? It isn't, except for the fact that the chair has a side table which folds out upon deployment, and has dedicated holders for 2 pot calls, 2 strikers, a box call and multiple mouth calls, a really nice touch if you want to leave the turkey vest at home. However, I didn't feel that the box call holder, or the elastic band for strikers were secure enough to throw over my back and tote around in the woods without fear of losing them, unless the chair was in a carrying case.

The side table is a nice touch,  will keep your calls out of the dirt, and perhaps make it a little less likely to leave one in the woods.

I found the seat to be quite comfortable. With lower back problems, probably not quite as comfortable as the lounger type chair for long sits, but does offer an advantage in that while still relatively low with an 11 inch seat height, it definitely makes a difference in how well you can see in areas with considerable ground cover. In some situations that might be a drawback, making concealment a bit more difficult, but there are always trade offs.

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the High Ridge and will definitely use it again next year.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

GobbleNut

Cool!  After all these years of Sam giving away stuff, the "old blind hog" finally finds an acorn! 
Once again, I want to thank Sam (Gooserbat) for all he does for this site!  You are a class act, my man!   :icon_thumright: :happy0064: