Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Motivation Drives Action – US Slams: the good, the bad, and the ugly?

Started by Garrett Trentham, June 03, 2021, 10:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CALLM2U

Quote from: HookedonHooks on June 09, 2021, 09:01:02 AM
It's not an "official" slam. It's a very personal goal, one that you know for yourself when you finish. By you seeking documentation to make it as such makes me think you're one of the folks the OP is discussing being a detriment to this "slam". You can capture your journey and post it to social media like many others, that's the only official "Super Slam" tracker there is; ones that are publicly tracking themselves and others watching through social media.

It would seem you're looking for your name to be added to a list of "great hunters" when complete not just trying to accomplish the most difficult of turkey hunting goals for yourself.

That's a pretty bold assessment on the motivation and heart of a complete stranger you have likely never met based upon one question. 

Shiloh

Righteousness is rampant in these hunting forums.  It's unfortunate

GobbleNut

It would seem you're looking for your name to be added to a list of "great hunters" when complete not just trying to accomplish the most difficult of turkey hunting goals for yourself.

As of now, I suppose this could be considered the "most difficult of turkey hunting goals".  Nevertheless, it is simply an artificially-created endeavor.  At some point, I am sure that there will be enough people that have done it that someone will then need to differentiate themselves from the rest by coming up with the next-level, turkey hunting goal.  I suspect that might be something along the lines of killing a bird of each subspecies in every state that they exist in. 

Now, I don't want to minimize the "Super Slam" goal in the eyes of those who want to do it.  If it's your "thang", go for it, but don't make it out to be more than what it really is.  I think all of us love to do it,  but it is still just "turkey hunting",...whether it be in one state or "fifty minus one".  :icon_thumright:

PalmettoRon

Yep. To each his own. The one person who I personally know who has completed the Super Slam does not post anything unless you ask him. I think he just wanted to see this entire country and see if he could do this. He has some interesting stories if you ask him. Not a braggart at all. Trust me, he is an excellent turkey hunter.

I've had friends of mine here in the South make light of me killing Merriams in AZ and NM on public ground. I get tired of hearing how easy Merriams are. They've never made the trek and don't know what it's like to locate these birds in really big country at serious elevation. Many of them hunt the same property year after year.

I have no desire to hunt in every state, but having been to every state, I will say it opens your eyes to what we all share in common and what makes us different too. There's a lot of beauty to be found in every state.

If a person is doing the Super Slam to brag, forget that, but I suspect to many it represents a challenge, much like a casual runner deciding to run a marathon. As long as the challenge is done ethically and legally--have at it.

schuylkillspur

Good Lord I just wanted to know if there was some kind of official process of keeping tabs on this.

:TrainWreck1:
You hav nothing w/o FAITH

GobbleNut

Quote from: schuylkillspur on June 09, 2021, 05:37:02 PM
I just wanted to know if there was some kind of official process of keeping tabs on this.

As deerhunt1988 pointed out, the only possible record-keeping service for this would probably be the NWTF. Not sure what documentation you would need to provide as proof of accomplishing the feat, but if you have to submit documentation for each state and have it "officially" registered, it will likely cost a pretty penny to do so.   :icon_thumright:

WiLL B

Quote from: PalmettoRon on June 09, 2021, 10:18:26 AM
Yep. To each his own. The one person who I personally know who has completed the Super Slam does not post anything unless you ask him. I think he just wanted to see this entire country and see if he could do this. He has some interesting stories if you ask him. Not a braggart at all. Trust me, he is an excellent turkey hunter.

I've had friends of mine here in the South make light of me killing Merriams in AZ and NM on public ground. I get tired of hearing how easy Merriams are. They've never made the trek and don't know what it's like to locate these birds in really big country at serious elevation. Many of them hunt the same property year after year.

I have no desire to hunt in every state, but having been to every state, I will say it opens your eyes to what we all share in common and what makes us different too. There's a lot of beauty to be found in every state.

If a person is doing the Super Slam to brag, forget that, but I suspect to many it represents a challenge, much like a casual runner deciding to run a marathon. As long as the challenge is done ethically and legally--have at it.
An Arizona Merriams is on my bucket list! A US Slam is not. I keep going back to good states for a good hunt. Added one new state this year because I was close. But reading about Arizona many years ago put it on my bucket list. I've got em in NM and CO but only touristed in Arizona. I'm getting old but I a'int dead yet so maybe I'll make it.

Jbird22

Quote from: schuylkillspur on June 09, 2021, 08:45:33 AM
I have set a goal to TRY to complete the super slam and as of right now I have 13 states complete. My question is, what evidence or documentation do I need to make this official?
It's not an "official" slam. It's a very personal goal, one that you know for yourself when you finish. By you seeking documentation to make it as such makes me think you're one of the folks the OP is discussing being a detriment to this "slam". You can capture your journey and post it to social media like many others, that's the only official "Super Slam" tracker there is; ones that are publicly tracking themselves and others watching through social media.

So solely based on his post, you feel like he's degrading the accomplishment by documenting it BUT it's an admirable conquest if he doesn't document it? Give me a break...

If someone is pursuing any of the slams for PERSONAL reasons, not to brag or look cool to others, then good for them and more power to them.

SD_smith

This thread is ridiculous and the responses aren't far behind. Reading books on turkey hunting does not make you any better of a hunter or a person nor does it qualify you to be a traveling turkey hunter. What are you guys even talking about anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD_smith

Quote from: Shiloh on June 09, 2021, 09:49:05 AM
Righteousness is rampant in these hunting forums.  It's unfortunate
You ain't joking.

eggshell

I am righteous through the blood of Jesus Christ, so yup I am guilty from that perspective. However, my own righteousness is but filthy rags....

GobbleNut

Quote from: eggshell on June 11, 2021, 07:10:14 AM
I am righteous through the blood of Jesus Christ, so yup I am guilty from that perspective. However, my own righteousness is but filthy rags....

I am generally not one to moralize, but here goes anyway...
All of us are self-righteous in our own peculiar ways.  It is just one of the many flaws of humanity.  It is when one cannot recognize his own flaws and adjust himself accordingly that it becomes an issue. Realizing that how we personally behave,...and that WE might be the problem,...tends to be impossible, or at least supremely difficult, for some folks.  It is always best to look in the mirror on a regular basis....  ;) :)

HookedonHooks

Quote from: Jbird22 on June 10, 2021, 08:04:58 PM
So solely based on his post, you feel like he's degrading the accomplishment by documenting it BUT it's an admirable conquest if he doesn't document it? Give me a break...
Here you go buddy.

Jimspur

Quote from: HookedonHooks on June 11, 2021, 09:03:54 AM
Quote from: Jbird22 on June 10, 2021, 08:04:58 PM
Here you go buddy.

Darnit Hooks - I almost lost my coffee on my computer!

eggshell

Quote from: GobbleNut on June 11, 2021, 08:36:16 AM
Quote from: eggshell on June 11, 2021, 07:10:14 AM

I am generally not one to moralize, but here goes anyway...
All of us are self-righteous in our own peculiar ways.  It is just one of the many flaws of humanity.  It is when one cannot recognize his own flaws and adjust himself accordingly that it becomes an issue. Realizing that how we personally behave,...and that WE might be the problem,...tends to be impossible, or at least supremely difficult, for some folks.  It is always best to look in the mirror on a regular basis....  ;) :)

I looked in the mirror and it's not working....some old bald guy is always in it and he won't move so I can see.

Oh I have plenty of flaws, they are what makes life exciting. I tried being perfect and it was boring.

So yes this thread has ran it's course and resorted to silliness