Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Motivation Drives Action – US Slams: the good, the bad, and the ugly?

Started by Garrett Trentham, June 03, 2021, 10:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimspur

Since Gene and Gabe were never on Fakebook - I'd bet that less than
5% of hunters under the age of 35 know who they are. Most of 'em
don't even know the names Davis, Jordan, Everitt, McIlhenny, etc.
Lovett who?

Kyle_Ott

Quote from: Jimspur on June 08, 2021, 02:17:46 PM
Lovett who?

There are a few of us around who have first editions and an almost religious reverence for some of that literature. 

eggshell

I have been turkey hunting almost 50 years and I never heard those names until I read this thread. Of course I have only  hunted 8 or 9 states. The only old timer I ever got a tip from was some old guy named Ben Rodgers Lee. I never took no book to the woods unless I intended to wipe my arse on the pages. I had a tough teacher, his name was Old Tom Hardwoods. He took me to school on a regular basis. His great grandchildren are now paying the price for his insults.

I ain't dead, so I ain't hangen up no vest

(before anyone get's their panties all bunched up....Sarcasm font is on)

Turkeyman

Well, when I hear Gene the only one I've heard of is Gene Autry...don't know whether he was a turkey hunter or not. When I hear Gabe I can only think of Gabby Hayes...pretty sure he wasn't a turkey hunter. Just the way it is...who gives a rat's behind. If these folks are some kind of internet/Facebook/YouTubers I couldn't care less.

arkrem870

I learned to turkey hunt in the ozarks by trial and error. I didn't read books either
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

Jimspur

Quote from: Kyle_Ott on June 08, 2021, 05:18:04 PM
Lovett who?

There are a few of us around who have first editions and an almost religious reverence for some of that literature.

It's good to know that some people are interested in the history of
turkey hunting.

Fdept56

I'm sorry that I didn't indicate my sarcasm was turned on also. I have family members that enjoy it as much as anyone and would have no idea who those guys are. I was mainly pointing a finger at those doing it because it's "cool.

Kyle_Ott

Quote from: Jimspur on June 08, 2021, 07:13:04 PM
Lovett who?

turkey hunting.
[/quote

If you've got some classics you're looking to offload, let me know. I'm always looking to expand my collection. We can chat offline.

Jimspur

Quote from: Kyle_Ott on June 08, 2021, 09:02:05 PM
Quote from: Jimspur on June 08, 2021, 07:13:04 PM
Lovett who?

turkey hunting.
[/quote

If you've got some classics you're looking to offload, let me know and we'll chat offline!  I'm always looking to expand my collection.  Let me know and we can chat offline.

Not looking to get rid of any at this time. Might start reading back through them again.

Howie g

Why read a book when you can just watch a hour of you tube and listen to a couple of podcast and become a instant gobbler guro !

ferocious calls

Know a few hunters after the US slam. One of them knocked off my state with us. He even stayed an extra day to come along with us to observe our hunt. While I admire the effort, the daily grinding would i think get old after the first few states.

I prefer a tri county slam sort of speak. Calling for friends in our area or theirs I get the itch scratched very well. We all had a ball.

This young ladies first.

Jimspur

Quote from: Howie g on June 08, 2021, 10:37:06 PM
Why read a book when you can just watch a hour of you tube and listen to a couple of podcast and become a instant gobbler guro !

Yessir - That's the instant gratification society we live in. Gotta kill a
turkey by any means necessary and immediately post it on Fakebook
and Instagram for all my fake friends to see. They all need to know how
great I am. Look at me, look at me, look at me some more!

Sorry I went a little off-topic there. Rant over.

schuylkillspur

I have set a goal to TRY to complete the super slam and as of right now I have 13 states complete. My question is, what evidence or documentation do I need to make this official?
You hav nothing w/o FAITH

deerhunt1988

Quote from: schuylkillspur on June 09, 2021, 08:45:33 AM
I have set a goal to TRY to complete the super slam and as of right now I have 13 states complete. My question is, what evidence or documentation do I need to make this official?

I mean, if you really want, you can register each bird with the NWTF for $15

https://www.nwtf.org/hunt/records/register

Most of us could care less about registering our birds as we are not in it for the notoriety. I do keep all my licenses and tags and am sure to get good photos in every state I visit.

You have a point though, I'm sure folks will start falsifying their slams in hopes of getting more likes, ,followers, and views. Once again, just taking away the allure of it.

HookedonHooks

Quote from: schuylkillspur on June 09, 2021, 08:45:33 AM
It's not an "official" slam. It's a very personal goal, one that you know for yourself when you finish. By you seeking documentation to make it as such makes me think you're one of the folks the OP is discussing being a detriment to this "slam". You can capture your journey and post it to social media like many others, that's the only official "Super Slam" tracker there is; ones that are publicly tracking themselves and others watching through social media.

It would seem you're looking for your name to be added to a list of "great hunters" when complete not just trying to accomplish the most difficult of turkey hunting goals for yourself.