OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Red eye hunt in Michigan and Minnesota  (Read 1227 times)

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Red eye hunt in Michigan and Minnesota
« on: June 02, 2021, 05:26:16 PM »
Michigan/Minnesota
5/26/2021
Work was slow so I decided to leave a little early and try to get to Minnesota closer to daylight the next day.  I left out for the 15hr drive but get held up 2hrs in Memphis thanks to the bridge being out so I made it to St. Louis and decided to get some sleep. I slept a few hours then I was back on the road. As I entered Iowa, I was looking at the weather and it was horrible for the area I wanted to hunt in Minnesota, so I opted to make a move and go straight to Michigan.  I got to the little town I had planned to stay in and bought my lic around 3pm. I had plants to meet a couple buddies the following day around lunch to hunt. I drove around the area looking for birds in the sleet and 20mph winds.  After a few spots I pulled into a pull off and hit my box call and a bird gobbles in the distance.  I grab all my gear and he gobbles again and then again so I at an all out run to get into the woods with him. There ended up being a swamp between us but he worked his way around the swamp so I cut the distance to him, I get set up and he’s hammering. He comes to within 50yds but its so thick I cant see anything and this goes on for about 10min.  Then I hear a hen and we start conversating and after a few minutes she takes him off, I lay into him and call him back and I finally see through some small holes strutting in the dang road in front of my truck. I had to make a decision and I let him walk off again because there was no way he was coming in that thicket where I was. The next time he gobbles about 125-150yds away. I jump up and run back through the woods by my truck and down the gravel road.  I call as I’m running and he gobbles. I find a tree on the opposite side of the road and get set up and call again and he has cut the distance in half, after a couple minutes I can’t stand it and I call real soft and he gobbles 20yds away right behind the bush I’m aiming at. By now my nerves are shot. Another 30seconds pass and he steps out just to the left of that bush at less than 20yds.  I get my sight on him and squeeze the trigger and fill my Michigan tag with another nice gobbler.  Absolutely unreal hunt. The Good Lord blessed me beyond measure with that hunt.
I stayed the night trying to roost some birds with no luck but did find a couple birds the next morning form my buddies that were coming in that day.  I left after daybreak and headed to Minnesota hoping I’d find a bird there.
5/27/2021
I arrived in Minnesota around 12noon and tried to get my lic but had some issues because of my last name being misspelled on my last lic.  After an hour on hold we got my issue resolved and I was off looking for a bird in spitting rain 40deg weather and 25mph winds.  Things were not looking good. The third spot I stopped I was easing around the woods on the field edge when I spotted a hen and gobbler sulled up out of the wind in a corner. It wasn’t the ideal hunt but I was able to crawl into position and take the shot filling my tag for Minnesota with a really nice bird to finish off my 2021 turkey season.  It was a grind the whole season but very rewarding and fun.
The Good Lord kept us safe in all our travels for the year and blessed us on some amazing hunts.  Looking forward to see what 2022 has in store for us. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
Re: Red eye hunt in Michigan and Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 12:05:47 PM »
Great story and beautiful, sassy pictures. Terrific season for you!

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.