OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Well they were close enough  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Well they were close enough
« on: May 31, 2021, 04:43:39 PM »
but to be honest with you they had such short beards and no spurs that I can see even in the photographs that I let them go. I think I would rather hunt them next year. I hope you guys don't hate me. The deer were far more cooperative than the turkey this year, guess I will have to wait until next year for my dream shot. When the turkey did finally show up today my gimbal was fighting me and for some reason the display on the camera kept going off. Very frustrated but at the same time blessed to be so close to these magnificent animals.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 05:00:47 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
Re: Well they were close enough
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 05:39:17 AM »
Sorry you had a bad run, hope you can get some stuff straightened out health wise and can be at them next spring.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 09:48:17 AM »
Nothing wrong with not pulling the trigger and no apology necessary, buddy.  Perhaps next year you will get another chance at them when they are all big boys!  We all have a long wait until next spring, and hopefully we will all get a chance to do it all again!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 11:51:11 AM »
Sorry you had a bad run, hope you can get some stuff straightened out health wise and can be at them next spring.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thanks, health wise I felt worse in the beginning of the month the way my toe was making it so hard to walk, back to the truck was far worse as it was downhill and putting more pressure on the toe. I was able to get a hold of some moleskin that helped a bit and then saw a doctor and he did some trimming of a callus around the area and gave me something to wear on the toe. I am waiting to hear back on a surgery date for the toe and am hoping we can get the left knee in before trapping season starts in Oct. as well, both my knees need to be replaced, the doc said there is so little room between the bones you could not even fit a piece of onion skin paper between the bones. Ones the foot was worked on things really did improve a lot and I wore a brace on the knee almost every day I hunted as well. Thank you for the well wishes.

Nothing wrong with not pulling the trigger and no apology necessary, buddy.  Perhaps next year you will get another chance at them when they are all big boys!  We all have a long wait until next spring, and hopefully we will all get a chance to do it all again!

I hope to be able to get on the ground next year and out of the blind, I am going to try to practice sitting on the RNG 300 seat and see if that helps my tailbone, hips and back and if that does not help I am going to try a tube from Glenda Green and I hope that helps, I am dropping weight and am hoping I will not be to fat for her seats, I may require a tractor tire though! Yes I hope to hunt them next year as adults, we all saw jakes this year, few hen though which is concerning but if there are jakes there must be hens right?

It was nice to see a turkey and have it gobble back at me and come into my calling anyway, sometimes I worried if I was calling well or not, I did not practice much this year because my landlady of 30 years was dying of cancer (She passed on the twenty second) and I just wanted her to have peace in her final days, the CD player in the truck died so I could not listen to the Lovett Williams and Spitt'n Feathers CD's I normally use to practice with every year and I was constantly questioning my cadence so them coming in made me feel a bit better anyway.

I hear you on the long wait part, I get picked on for reading about turkey season during deer season, I did take up Fall hunting last year, I could have taken hen many times over but I do not see the sense in killing hens, killing a hen is killing the future in my mind anyway. They came from this field to between the blind and the tree, I could have reached out and grabbed one! Interesting scar on that tree by the way, wonder what made it?

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."