OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Get gun dipped or use gun skins  (Read 3775 times)

Offline Mkeller

Get gun dipped or use gun skins
« on: May 30, 2021, 07:11:52 PM »
Was curious on which way to go on my shotgun, any suggestions?

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: Get gun dipped or use gun skins
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 08:29:21 PM »
Mossy Oak Gun Skin. Take your time putting it on, use hair dryer. It won’t harm the guns finish. It looks dipped if installed smoothly. I did my 16 gauge, came out perfect.
“Solo hunter”

Offline eddie234

• Longbeard
Get gun dipped or use gun skins
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 08:30:30 PM »
I wrapped my Remington 20ga. Watch the YouTube videos and take your time, it’s fairly easy. Took me about an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 10:42:12 PM »
I would get mine dipped, I may not have the patience to do it myself lol. But those both look really good. I live by Etheridge Hydro Dipping and he has done 2 guns for me along with some other odds and ends. He does great work if you decide to go that way. But if you have the patience go with the wrap.

Quick question for you guys that do the wrap how well does it hold up? Do you have to do it every year or will it hold up several seasons? And how do you remove it?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 06:57:17 AM »
I would get mine dipped, I may not have the patience to do it myself lol. But those both look really good. I live by Etheridge Hydro Dipping and he has done 2 guns for me along with some other odds and ends. He does great work if you decide to go that way. But if you have the patience go with the wrap.

Quick question for you guys that do the wrap how well does it hold up? Do you have to do it every year or will it hold up several seasons? And how do you remove it?

I had a wrap on an 1187 for 3 years and it still looked great. With that said I only used the gun for a couple weeks each year. To remove it, you get a corner started and pull. For me it was a one time use item. I don't know if you could take your time and take it off to be used again or not. I don't think you could, but somebody with lots of patients might be able to. $30 for 3 years use is pretty inexpensive to me.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 08:37:29 AM »

I had a wrap on an 1187 for 3 years and it still looked great. With that said I only used the gun for a couple weeks each year. To remove it, you get a corner started and pull. For me it was a one time use item. I don't know if you could take your time and take it off to be used again or not. I don't think you could, but somebody with lots of patients might be able to. $30 for 3 years use is pretty inexpensive to me.

This fine forum member told me how to install this Mossy Oaks skin using heat from a hair dryer. It came out perfect. Dipping is a great way to go, no doubt. But if you want to save money and have the ability to remove it, the skin works great. You also can easily replace any scuffed, or damaged camo quickly and inexpensively. There is pros and cons to both, but if budget is a constraint, the skin is the way to go.
“Solo hunter”

Chad

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 02:32:10 PM »
I had a mossy oak wrap on my gun last year and removed it after the season and found some light rust spots near the end of the barrel. I had hunted in the rain and the moisture creeped under the wrap. So that's something to consider

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 10:48:18 AM »
I had a mossy oak wrap on my gun last year and removed it after the season and found some light rust spots near the end of the barrel. I had hunted in the rain and the moisture creeped under the wrap. So that's something to consider

I could see that happening, I only did my stocks. Yes, something to consider if you do the metal parts. You probably could bring it home, dry it, and oil right over the skin. It would most likely seep in and prevent the rust....hopefully....
“Solo hunter”

Offline albrubacker

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 08:10:21 AM »
I have wrapped three guns so far. The first one was my daughters 11-87 about 5 yrs ago and still looks great. We use it for turkey and swap out the barrel for slug barrel during deer season.
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Offline N2TRKYS

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2021, 11:02:14 AM »
I get mine dipped and never even consider wraps.  I have no complaints. 
83% of all statistics are made up.

Offline Matt76cmich

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 10:00:49 AM »
The lighter of the two is wrapped and the darker one is the stock dip. Of the two I prefer the stock dip. The wrap is a little too smooth/slippery for my liking. It kinda made the knurled (can't think of the right word) pieces useless for grip. Just my $0.02

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2021, 03:39:05 PM »
If cost isn’t a major consideration and it’s going to be a dedicated turkey gun I’d get it dipped.  I had a duck gun dipped back in 2000 and it’s held up good enough for me.  However the turkey gun I use I just sprayed with a good OD green paint and called it good. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline Ridge Rooster

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 06:41:43 AM »
If you decide to go dipped I second Mr. Ethridge at Ethridge Hydrographics in Cadiz KY. Really a super nice guy to deal with and their work is excellent!

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2021, 02:46:08 PM »
I have been wanting to get mine dipped, but the quality of the Mossy Oak skins really has me debating which to do now, I would get matching skin kit for my scope.

Sent from my S30U+ using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2021, 07:59:34 PM »
I have been wanting to get mine dipped, but the quality of the Mossy Oak skins really has me debating which to do now, I would get matching skin kit for my scope.

Sent from my S30U+ using Tapatalk

I think you will like the Mossy Oak skin. Great alternative........be safe Steve
“Solo hunter”