OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The Solution

Started by Neill_Prater, May 30, 2021, 09:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

Predators are the #1 reason turkey numbers are down. Dont forget that we, humans, are predators. Our part to this has been hit on here. Our urban expansion, treating turkeys like an inexhaustable resource and our lack of predator control, including us, has had an impact. Egg stealers such as racoons, skunks and possums are out of control around here. Coyotes are also going unchecked. I have also seen more bobcats in the last 3 years than in the previous 50. And lastly, but not the least, our egos/internet exposure. Everybody wants to show off their hunting prowess. I am in the woods more than most and throughout the year and I have noticed a decline in raw numbers over the past 3 years. This is the 4th year of our bag limit being 2. More people hunting= more birds killed. A lot of new hunters are happy just to shoot a jake and good for them. But I live/hunt in a little spot of a town and saw h
vehicles from 9 different states this year. That is a lot for this small area. We will crash in my area if we dont do something. I have sent my proposals to our state F&G commission and shoot as many " non turkey friendly" critters as possible. I cant complain if I dont do my part, I just see what all you veteran turkey hunters from traditionally great states have warned us about happening right now. Its a very sharp peak and I am afraid that it will fall off just as sharply. God help us all. Good luck, be safe and God Bless. Al Baker