OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sealing Turkey fan

Started by fadetoblack188, May 28, 2021, 01:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fadetoblack188

My fan has been drying in borax for about 2.5 weeks now. Going to let it sit in the borax for another 3 weeks.  I was certainly not a perfectionist when it came to getting all the meat and fat out.

I want to seal it somehow in 3 weeks when I pull the borax off..  Has anyone just pour two part epoxy over both sides of it and let it cure?

HartClemson99

Use Bondo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion" Tom Kelly, The Tenth Legion, 1973

eddie234

That's exactly what I do. Use epoxy just be careful it's runny at first. Hold the fan up and let it run down the base

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fadetoblack188

Quote from: eddie234 on May 28, 2021, 01:25:30 PM
That's exactly what I do. Use epoxy just be careful it's runny at first. Hold the fan up and let it run down the base

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes I was ongoing to spray the borax off with compressed air.  Mix some west systems epoxy.  Then drizzle it over both sides. Hang it and let it drip dry

Greg Massey

What about sealing it with one of those glue stick guns and smooth it out over that area ?  I've seen those bone area still seeping grease or fluid way pass couple months even after the borax ..

jmart241

I've been using the glue stick guns works very good

TTG

falltoms

I've did many fans over the years, I've never sealed one. If you cleaned most of the meat off and dried good in borax,keep away from bugs it will last for a long time. I wrap my base in felt and tack it on

fadetoblack188

Quote from: jmart241 on May 28, 2021, 03:32:50 PM

What just a hot glue gun? And squeeze it out all over the base of fan?

lmbunch69

I've used bondo and just tried a hot glue gun for the first time last week. Super easy for both, gets the same result.

PNWturkey

Quote from: falltoms on May 28, 2021, 06:53:18 PM
I've did many fans over the years, I've never sealed one. If you cleaned most of the meat off and dried good in borax,keep away from bugs it will last for a long time. I wrap my base in felt and tack it on

I have never sealed one either and have done numerous the way you describe with nothing more than borax...

fadetoblack188

Quote from: PNWturkey on May 28, 2021, 11:44:17 PM
Quote from: falltoms on May 28, 2021, 06:53:18 PM

I have never sealed one either and have done numerous the way you describe with nothing more than borax...

That's the thing though. I didn't go crazy and get every piece of meat and fat off. I got majority off and just dumped borax on it. That's why I figured I would seal it after it dries

jmart241

Quote from: fadetoblack188 on May 28, 2021, 10:41:02 PM
Quote from: jmart241 on May 28, 2021, 03:32:50 PM

What just a hot glue gun? And squeeze it out all over the base of fan?
Yea any hot glue gun will work just cover all of it

Spitten and drummen

Borax and call it a day. Been doing that for 40 years and they are fine as long as bugs don't get to them.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Which Gun

Never sealed mine. Don't get all the meat off either. Borax it pin it to cardboard let it sit.