OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best Time of Year to Buy Apex TSS & Reloading Question

Started by Sir-diealot, May 28, 2021, 09:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Quote from: Yelper on May 28, 2021, 02:29:35 PM
Now is the time to be thinking about buying some shells for next year. Yes they are costly and buying reloading items is not to bad if you reload enough to make it worth your time. But if you are  shooting less than 10 TSS shells a year, buying them loaded probably is your best option.

Turkey Ninja Series
$39.99 – $64.99

5.00 out of 5
Variations   
12 Gauge 3" 2 1/4 oz
Clear
$59.99
Available In Stock

Turkey Ninja Series quantity
ADD TO CART
CAN THIS SHIP TO YOU?
Thank You ... Yelper that's my point ... why have all that stuff and components lying around to deal with in loading and shooting a few shells year.. great point you made..

TauntoHawk

If you are shooting upwards of 20+ TSS rounds a year on paper and at turkeys it makes sense to load your own should you wish. If you shoot a few rounds a year it's much more cost and time effective to buy IMO

I shot 4 gobblers in 3 states my wife shot 1 that's 1 box of $40 ammo it took a few minutes to buy online 3 years ago.  I fired one check the gun shell a week before season so a total of 6 loads in a year.

Every other year in the off season I buy like 3 boxes and my supply seems to grow. Custom calls are expensive too but I don't have a desire to start making my own boxes calls to save money

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sir-diealot

Sorry all, I had to got to the grocery store. The biggest point made to me here is from Tanto, (Though all are great points, thank you all) I am NOT a high volume shooter, so it may not even be worth my time to do it. I will I think get 5 boxes before next season, I was looking at 12ga 3? 2-1/4oz #8 shells as it seems they would open the most at various ranges to me, though I am sure somebody much more knowledgeable than I is going to come in here and correct me one that :D I am still not sure if I am past the idea of reloading, but only being able to get 9 shots from a lb. of shot does not sound like much to me.

I would still like to hear other opinions and pros and cons, but still have not heard if I could use the Load All II in part of the process either. I would also like to know what kinds of powders would be used most often please. Sorry to hear I can't use those old wads, would have helped save some money.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 28, 2021, 05:05:40 PM
Sorry all, I had to got to the grocery store. The biggest point made to me here is from Tanto, (Though all are great points, thank you all) I am NOT a high volume shooter, so it may not even be worth my time to do it. I will I think get 5 boxes before next season, I was looking at 12ga 3? 2-1/4oz #8 shells as it seems they would open the most at various ranges to me, though I am sure somebody much more knowledgeable than I is going to come in here and correct me one that :D I am still not sure if I am past the idea of reloading, but only being able to get 9 shots from a lb. of shot does not sound like much to me.

I would still like to hear other opinions and pros and cons, but still have not heard if I could use the Load All II in part of the process either. I would also like to know what kinds of powders would be used most often please. Sorry to hear I can't use those old wads, would have helped save some money.
Your not going to get any load data, unless you buy the shot from someone who sales it because of liability purposes. They will give you recipes for loading.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 28, 2021, 05:16:55 PM

Your not going to get any load data, unless you buy the shot from someone who sales it because of liability purposes. They will give you recipes for loading.
I am not looking for load data bud, just want to be able to look up prices for lb. of what the most common used ones (powders) would be. Thanks for all the good comments by the way.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Greg Massey

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 28, 2021, 05:19:02 PM

I am not looking for load data bud, just want to be able to look up prices for lb. of what the most common used ones (powders) would be. Thanks for all the good comments by the way.
[/quote Good luck ...

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 28, 2021, 05:24:40 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 28, 2021, 05:19:02 PM

[/quote Good luck ...
Thanks, I have til Monday to get a turkey then the season is over. I am hoping after the toes and knees are operated on I can be more mobile next year. Best of luck to you as well if you are still hunting. I am going to try Fall hunting again this year, picked up a few books to try to pick up some tips on Fall hunting.

John Koenig:

Jstocks

My opinion:

Buy from Foxtrot or from Hal Abbott's Company. Both use custom recipes for handloads ammo that they sell to the masses. These are same recipes that you'd receive from the popular shot suppliers if you bought shot. You don't have to worry about buying all the equipment and it's more like custom tss lids than say Federal.

For non high volume shooters, this is a good option.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Jstocks on May 28, 2021, 09:35:35 PM
My opinion:

Buy from Foxtrot or from Hal Abbott's Company. Both use custom recipes for handloads ammo that they sell to the masses. These are same recipes that you'd receive from the popular shot suppliers if you bought shot. You don't have to worry about buying all the equipment and it's more like custom tss lids than say Federal.

For non high volume shooters, this is a good option.
Thanks, already looked into the first and will look into the second tomorrow. it is 9:49 and I get up between 2:30 and 3:00 to go hunting so I am heading to bed, you have and good night.

John Koenig:

aclawrence

Quote from: davisd9 on May 28, 2021, 01:45:59 PM
Quote from: aclawrence on May 28, 2021, 01:28:38 PM
Just the coat of the TSS shot is pretty high. I think you really need to like to shoot a good bit to make it worth it. Dave mentions a few suppliers where he buys some of his supplies from. You have to buy the shot by the pound. I got to figuring up how many pounds I would need and I decided I would just buy a few boxes if shells instead. I would like to get into it one day. I know I would like to process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot a 1-5/8 oz load in my 20 gauge. The $50 pound of shot will load 9 shells with a little left over. The rest of the materials are not expensive at all. So for $50 I can buy 5 shells or get enough shot to load 9.
That's not bad. I was factoring in the cost of all the equipment in my decision since I don't have any of it. I couldn't make the total investment to get started.  If I had the stuff I'd go for it.

lunghit

I have two boxes of 12 gauge Apex 3" number 8's 2oz of shot. I paid around 100 for them last winter if you want them for that price they are yours. I'm shooting my 20 gauges for now on.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Swampchickin234

And Some like to load there own so they simply do not have to put up with a manufacturer discontinuing or changing any  form of the recipe that you loved. 

Old Gobbler

I would not try to discourage anyone from reloading thier own ammunition,  I my self have done so for many decades and own several reloaders and I still have a a old lee load-all too...

With that said ....its not cookies , you CAN NOT whip up hand loads via recommendations from a post on thr internet , you MUST use TESTED formulas ..and you must NEVER substitute components,  a prime example would be substitute even a simple primer ...it will over pressure you ...buy a good reloading book with TESTED recipes...use quality scales .... some of the powders like alliant STEEL  , you will need quality equipment to measure out ..and yes there has been powder lot variances over the years ...so do your research

We had a plethora of handloading going on here years ago and folks got a little carried away , there were some that knew what they were doing and there were quite a few just were faking it ....even the big names in tss reloading were complaing to me about it USE TESTED FORMULAS,  you may hear name mentioned quite a bit by the members here and elsewhere and that his name starts with a  "H"... I have it under good authority those formulas are TESTED ...I can't go on and say I endorse that individual due to stupid legal liabilities,  but you get the drift,  due to the fact I like the roof over my head we are not allowed to have people I knowingly know distribute formulas without insurance here on OG , it is in legal mumbo jumbo my "Hold Harmless loophole" and they are not here , so I myself am indemnified from any activity..once again just simply contact the "h" person ..

I want to point out to you that turkey loads are of the most powerful and highest pressure shotgun loads to ever be stuffed into a chamber , individuals will pass it off as "easy " nothing could be further from the truth , it is complicated to a newbie..if you are trained it will become second hand and enjoy the benefits of saving money if your doing it in large quantities....., if you are a fool , and use poor methods it can become increasingly dangerous...so be forwarned

Now I'm going to point out reloading materials are SCARCE  these days ....and TSS is expensive....several people have been buying the raw pellets dirrecty from China and cutting out the middlemen ...the folks reselling it will absolutely cringe if people cut them out of the picture and you simply bought it from alliexspress allibaba websites ..I don't know of the quality but I would say if you throw it on a scale you'll figure it out asap

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Shoreguy

I agree with what has been stated in this post about the cost of buying premade shells vs. handloading.  The one thing that I didn't see discussed was if you want to try different chokes or different recipes you can build a trap and collect the TSS and load it again.  You can collect most of your TSS and that's the most expensive part of the shell.  Just something else to think about when trying to do your cost comparison.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Old Gobbler on May 29, 2021, 07:22:44 AM
I would not try to discourage anyone from reloading thier own ammunition,  I my self have done so for many decades and own several reloaders and I still have a a old lee load-all too...

With that said ....its not cookies , you CAN NOT whip up hand loads via recommendations from a post on thr internet , you MUST use TESTED formulas ..and you must NEVER substitute components,  a prime example would be substitute even a simple primer ...it will over pressure you ...buy a good reloading book with TESTED recipes...use quality scales .... some of the powders like alliant STEEL  , you will need quality equipment to measure out ..and yes there has been powder lot variances over the years ...so do your research

We had a plethora of handloading going on here years ago and folks got a little carried away , there were some that knew what they were doing and there were quite a few just were faking it ....even the big names in tss reloading were complaing to me about it USE TESTED FORMULAS,  you may hear name mentioned quite a bit by the members here and elsewhere and that his name starts with a  "H"... I have it under good authority those formulas are TESTED ...I can't go on and say I endorse that individual due to stupid legal liabilities,  but you get the drift,  due to the fact I like the roof over my head we are not allowed to have people I knowingly know distribute formulas without insurance here on OG , it is in legal mumbo jumbo my "Hold Harmless loophole" and they are not here , so I myself am indemnified from any activity..once again just simply contact the "h" person ..

I want to point out to you that turkey loads are of the most powerful and highest pressure shotgun loads to ever be stuffed into a chamber , individuals will pass it off as "easy " nothing could be further from the truth , it is complicated to a newbie..if you are trained it will become second hand and enjoy the benefits of saving money if your doing it in large quantities....., if you are a fool , and use poor methods it can become increasingly dangerous...so be forwarned

Now I'm going to point out reloading materials are SCARCE  these days ....and TSS is expensive....several people have been buying the raw pellets dirrecty from China and cutting out the middlemen ...the folks reselling it will absolutely cringe if people cut them out of the picture and you simply bought it from alliexspress allibaba websites ..I don't know of the quality but I would say if you throw it on a scale you'll figure it out asap
I am very much a noob at reloading, even reloading rifle ammo and sporting clay ammo, my accident had happened just as I was beginning to really get into it and now I need a refresher course.

Anybody that knows me will tell you I am very safety orientated to the point of obsession and I have read and watched to many videos of people being idiots to do the same. I have been majorly hurt in two car accidents that I have never fully recovered from, at 51 I do not know if my body could recover again and I have no interest in finding out. If I do do the reloading I will use only tested and proven reload materials and procedures, that is part of my figuring the cost, to me it is like cooking and in cooking cheap ingredients lead to cheap results and that goes for most things in life. I am not going to cheap out and risk my life, my girlfriends, my dogs or my landlords families house (Landlord of 30 years passed away a week ago today, very good woman, I loved her and will miss her.) it is just not worth it to do so. I am just hoping "H" does not turn out to be Herbie the Love Bug!

I agree, I have so many mixed rounds of ammo for my deer gun it is nuts, that is why I am trying to get back into reloading for it and other calibers, love those Nosler bullets, absolute tac drivers.

John Koenig: