OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunting ALL DAY

Started by Mossberg90MN, May 23, 2021, 10:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

springtime_overland

I hunt until i kill one,, especially when i am out of town.. Afternoons can be the early season ticket!

bigriverbum

i hit it plenty hard for 4-6 weeks a spring, but have little desire to ever stay out past 1pm. spring is my favorite time in the woods, but i'm in them all year.  i try to balance my chances of good hunting with spending time with my wife who has a conflicting work schedule to me.  i don't think not seeing here for 2 months straight would go over too well and i would hate it as well

if i'm free for the whole day the ideal scenario would be shoot a bird by mid day then go out and catch trout until dark on dry flies

bigriverbum

it's been in the 70s in the morning this week and thats too hot for some of us thick blooded northerners.

was running my lab at the river yesterday and i was absolutely miserable. so humid. got in the car. 71 degrees out lol

CALLM2U

If I'm in town, then I'm normally out around noon to tend to family and responsibilities. 

If I'm out of town on a hunt, then I'll hunt as much and as long as I can.

THattaway

Depends on how bad I want to kill a turkey. All day hunting is legal here. I'm prone to quit around 4pm to get some rest for the next day but I've got the ability to hunt a lot of mornings. You can kill them all day so you could be missing out depending on your opportunities to hunt. Late season is usually the toughest for killing birds later in the day and as many mentioned here already, it can be hot. Most times getting one to answer is the hard part, fairly good odds beyond that here in sc in the pm.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

stinkpickle

It sure is nice for my son and me to head out, as soon as he gets out of school when the weather isn't too hot.  We usually don't hunt for the entire day, though.

redleg06

No birds in the woods after 12p.m.  I highly encourage people to wrap up their hunts by 10a.m

Meleagris gallopavo

It depends on situations and opportunities.  I try to make opportunities based on my situation.  Most of the birds I harvested this year were taken between 10 and noon.  The other 2 were harvested between 4 and 6 in the afternoon.  That's pretty sad because I hunted all but maybe 4 or 5 days between the NC and Virginia turkey seasons and I was in the woods by 5 or 5:30 AM at the latest every time I hunted.  But you must know that I'm out of the turkey woods by 7:30 on weekdays to make it to work by 8:00 AM.  The 3 I harvested by noon were on the weekends and 2 I got in the afternoons were days that I could get off work early.  My situation is different than most because I have a lot of property I can hunt within 30 minutes of home or work.  Personally I really try hard to make my turkey hunting not affect my family or work, but I have a situation that allows for more opportunities to hunt.  So for me, no, I will not stay out all day hunting.  I really don't need to.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

btomlin

I think the 4-6pm window is just as productive as the 8-10a window.

Crghss

Hunt till noon-1. If I am out after that then I am roosting turkeys.

Growing in PA (was a 1 PM stop), on a beautiful spring day, we hunted in the morning Fly fishing in the afternoon. No better way to spend the day.

The few times I hunted out west, with all day hunting, I'm in the woods before 5 hunting till 11 - 12, I'm running and gunning around 8. After 6-7 hrs I'm kinda done. Unless there is some serious action going on. But I'm out roosting them by 4-5, so its a long day.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Mossberg90MN

Well, looks like most guys are pretty much on my schedule of sun up to around 2pm.

I will agree that the 4-6pm window can be good. I've had some birds gobble there heads off around that time period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wvdanimal

Most stupid law in turkey hunting ever.  Let's end all deer hunting at noon too so they can do their thing undisturbed during the rut. Always wanted to hunt Missouri but that is the reason I never will. If I'm traveling that far to kill a turkey,  I'm gonna be out daylight till dark period.  Works in Florida,  works all the way out in the black hills. Why can't it be the same across the board?

PNWturkey

Quote from: Wvdanimal on May 27, 2021, 10:14:40 PM
Most stupid law in turkey hunting ever.  Let's end all deer hunting at noon too so they can do their thing undisturbed during the rut. Always wanted to hunt Missouri but that is the reason I never will. If I'm traveling that far to kill a turkey,  I'm gonna be out daylight till dark period.  Works in Florida,  works all the way out in the black hills. Why can't it be the same across the board?

Imagine living in a state where you can only hunt turkeys till noon on Saturday, and then you also can't hunt on Sunday!?!