turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting ALL DAY

Started by Mossberg90MN, May 23, 2021, 10:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossberg90MN

For those of you who can... how many of you hunt from Sun up to Sun down?  I have done it occasionally but most of my hunts tend to be from sun up to around 2pm

Just trying to figure out if I should stay out there, and if it will be fruitful. I forgot where I read this but I read that Gobblers tend to go into feeding mode in the late afternoon to evening hours and aren't as hot to come into a call.

I imagine some of the traveling Turkey hunters will hunt all day. Because what else is there to do?

Part of why I ask is these late season days in the upper Midwest are getting long and hot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howie g

I wish it would be a noon cut off nation wide ...

derek

Particularly when I'm on the road, I'm grinding from dark til dark where legal.  After 2 is not my best time period but man when you do find one ready to go he is ready.  Really hate the noon or 1p cut offs when I'm out of state. Just seems like a waste of time.  Locally I don't hate it as much as it forces me to get out of the woods and do other things, but when I'm on a trip to turkey hunt, that's what I want to do.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

Pluffmud

Thankfully no noon cut off in my state. I've killed birds right off the roost, and some around mid morning, but my niche is midday gobblers. I'd say about half of the birds I kill are from noon to 2pm. Most people are at the house by then, and if you find one gobbling, chances are he wants to get killed. After 2 I'll take a break... Eat some lunch and have some coffee. Then I'll head back out around 3:30 or 4pm. I typically don't kill in the afternoon, birds around here aren't very vocal in the evenings. It's mostly just sight locating and trying to roost birds. That being said, when I plan on hunting, I'm out there until I kill, or all day. Turkey season is only 30 days for me. I'm gonna soak up every second.
Psalm 46:10

bbcoach

Quote from: Howie g on May 23, 2021, 11:12:13 PM
I wish it would be a noon cut off  wide ...
WHY???  As a general rule, most will only hunt for the first 2 to 4 hours while the gobblers are vocal because we can interact with the birds and it peaks our interest.  Many will throw in the towel after that and head home for the day.  Later in the afternoon, 5 to 6 pm, gobblers will again look for that elusive hen so they will have a mate to roost with.  And if we don't score then, we may have a Handle on a prospect for the AM hunt.  We aren't disrupting Mother Nature by being in the woods then. 

jhoward11

Not all day here... Morning and some around noon or so. It's so hard to be out not hearing anything and think about the long honey do list at home "NOT GETTING DONE" as the wifey would say. I could probably kill one around 10am but I'm usually up against a tree looking at the back of my eyelids!

Howie g

IMO ,  you should hunt a couple hours in the am , and if you don't get him . Give him the rest of the day off of being chased . Let em breed , feed un molested. 

Dtrkyman

I hit it hard, only so many days to chase these crazy birds!

the Ward

I still only hunt till around 2 or so. Gets too hot usually by the time we can hunt all day, and to be honest, i feel it takes away some from the hunting experience for me.

Greg Massey

In Tennessee we can hunt all day. Most days i will just take my lunch and hunt till around 3 clock in the afternoon. As you get older it's not so much anymore about the killing of a gobbler, it's just having the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors.  Either way, never forget all of gods creations and having the opportunity to kill a gobbler is a blessing within itself..

ChesterCopperpot

The states I hunt are all day states. I tend to hunt every day of season. I don't have the energy to hunt sun up to sun down every day for a month and a half. I usually hunt the mornings till about noon, sometimes one, and then I'll go take a nap so I can hunt known roost locations in the evening. I'd rather give up that one to three time frame than I would that three to dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sixes

I don't stay past lunch unless I am on a bird. But, if at all possible, I am back out for the last 2+ hours.

Evening hunting can be a lot of fun

Tail Feathers

I have done the all day thing but as I get older it's harder on the body so not so much these days.
Never had much success mid afternoons and it's often too hot to really enjoy yourself that time of day.  Never heard much gobbling during that time frame either.
I like the excitement of the gobbling bird so it's mostly mornings and out around lunch time for me unless I have a player actively in the game.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

AndyN

Only do all days when travelling and even then the middle of the day is often scouting. Looking back at the last 4 seasons I'm 10 AM and 10 PM birds. Morning birds have either been first hour or after 10am, afternoons are after 2pm with most in the last 2hrs.

Hooksfan

My home state of Missouri is currently looking at a proposal to allow all day hunting for weeks 2 and 3 next season. I have advocated for all day hunting for years, and now that it may be reality, I really dont have a strong opinion on the issue.
What i have noticed is that the most vehement arguments against all day hunting tends to come from hunters who live in cities or far enough away from their hunting properties that it wouldnt be feasible to hunt after work.