OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: sanding scratch box and/or striker?  (Read 2135 times)

Offline PNWturkey

sanding scratch box and/or striker?
« on: May 23, 2021, 10:50:39 PM »
How often (if at all) do y'all sand your scratch box rails and/or the striker?

If so, what grit sandpaper do you use?  With vs. against the grain?

Greg Longuillo (L&L) recommends 220 grit, Richard Shively (Super Yelper) recommends 80/100 grit, so not even the experienced call makers are on the same page!

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Offline Ranman

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: sanding scratch box and/or striker?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 11:24:23 PM »
The only ones I have sanded on are the ones I’ve built. I finish off the sound board with 100 grit paper going with the grain. Same for the strikers. The calls I have purchased from other makers, I have not sanded. I have also started using blue carpenter chalk, the half sphere one. I like it best.
Randy

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 03:58:48 AM »
I do not  do any sanding on any part of my scratch boxes. If the striker or sound board rail needs a scuff i use a piece of scotch brite then apply chalk to the striker and use it. 

Offline richard black

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 08:32:20 AM »
I have sanded several strikers to get a different sound. Some scratchers are more difficult to play or don’t have the sound that I want to achieve. I typically sand across the grain on the strikers, some I make rougher, others smoother so you have to experiment with grit size. Just don’t get carried away. Also strikers are very easy to make so try to make some out of different woods and dimensions. It’s definitely fun to do and achieve a different sound. Multiple strikers for the same box.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 12:22:53 PM »
I handed a friend of mine a new scratch box that played great, he first drops one the lip portion of it and then as he picked it up he put it against his sweaty shirt. The call instantly started to play like crap, I contacted the maker he told me how to try to bring it back by sanding but it has just not sounded right since. I am going to just buy another one from the same maker, I like the guy anyway.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."