OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Record length Toe Nails "Not Spurs"

Started by WV Flopper, May 23, 2021, 01:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Flopper

I know, I know, with out a picture.....

I killed a nice Tom in Virginia this spring, this turkey had 1 1/4" toe nails on his middle toes. The other were not as long, but were proportionate to the middle ones. I did notice he had an unusual amount of fat in him.

This could have been a product of no or little scratching through the winter. Possible he was hanging out under a bird feeder for the winter? The piece of property is bordered by 10 acre lots with houses.

Anyway, I have killed my share of turkeys and hadn't seen this before. Has anyone seen this and recorded any data from the turkey and area?

falltoms

I shot one couple years back that had super long toe nails,they were also the middle toes. Didn't think to measure them

wvboy

Something wrong with him.. he had a limp, but had a few long toe nails.
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

Jroddc

WV Flopper

Holy cow! Something was wrong with him, even before he got shot in the face. Wow

The one I had looked nothing like that, it looked normal other than being long.

wchadw

Quote from: WV Flopper on May 24, 2021, 06:25:55 PM
Holy cow! Something was wrong with him, even before he got shot in the face. Wow

The one I had looked nothing like that, it looked normal other than being long.
Somebody probably shot him in feet last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hwd silvestris

Not trying to steal you there's so to speak.  This guy is not quite as funky looking but still weird.  He was healthy and tasted just fine!    Not sure if it's genetics or some type of previous injury.  It appeared to me that he had a shorter toe on the other foot as well as a short toe nail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

wvboy

Here is the Video of my Long Toe'd gobbler coming in.  You can see him limping pretty noticeably around the 2:00 to 2:20 mark .. I think it was some kind of Foot Disease or Fungus.. not an injury.. But IDK.  He was otherwise fine and healthy and ate real good.

https://youtu.be/7vDYepMAb1Y

RB .. Take me Home Country Roads