turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is this? Saw it in Nebraska

Started by Tail Feathers, May 20, 2021, 11:04:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

Saw lots of these dirt mounds in the Pine Ridge area of Nebraska.  They range from 10" wide to sometimes 2' across.  It looks like some type eruption but there's no hole in in like a critter did it, and not an anthill.  What causes them? 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

stinkpickle

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Howie g

That's where the gobblers are hiding !!

jhoward11

Hobbes

I've seen those there and other places.  I think it's probably a result of freeze thaw.

TRG3

Those are obviously 17 year cicadids about to emerge.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: Hobbes on May 20, 2021, 02:13:33 PM
I've seen those there and other places.  I think it's probably a result of freeze thaw.
. This may be it.  Your post sent me to Google and it is likely frost heave or something similar.  Can't find photos just like I saw but that would explain it. 

Chad

Im telling ya, its a plains pocket gopher mound

Southerngobbler

Quote from: Chad on May 20, 2021, 06:59:06 PM
Agreed, those mounds are everywhere in Florida and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with the ground freezing.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: Chad on May 20, 2021, 06:59:06 PM
Would a pocket gopher have one 2 feet in diameter?  I never saw a hole in them like you would think a gopher would make to stick his head out.
I dunno. :help:
I've been hunting in FL a few times, never saw anything like this there, nor here in TX.

Chad

Absolutely, they can get even bigger. It's where they are kicking dirt up out of their underground burrow/tunnel systems

Yoteduster

Tail Feathers

Quote from: Chad on May 20, 2021, 09:22:42 PM
Absolutely, they can get even bigger. It's where they are kicking dirt up out of their underground burrow/tunnel systems
. I didn't see any burrow near any of them but the prairie grass was fairly thick there.  They were all over in NE.