OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Wood combo question  (Read 1446 times)

Offline AndyYo

Wood combo question
« on: May 19, 2021, 11:29:45 PM »
New to using box calls and want to have one made. What kind of wood do you guys recommend for a box call that would be used for soft calling? (Essentially in that last 100 yard range).

Offline Mathews.1

• Longbeard
Re: Wood combo question
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 06:21:28 AM »
First thing you need to decide on your maker then ask him what he recommends. Someone may have a combo your looking for but that doesn’t mean the next one will sound the same. Marlin Watkins, TJ Johnson and  Scott Witter all would be my recommendation but there’s a lot of good call makers out there.

Offline AndyYo

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 08:47:47 AM »
I’ve reached out to TJ and he advised he’s going to build me one when my name comes up on his list. That’s why I was wondering what type of wood I should choose for what I want.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 08:57:50 AM »
I’ve reached out to TJ and he advised he’s going to build me one when my name comes up on his list. That’s why I was wondering what type of wood I should choose for what I want.
I’d tell him exactly what you’re trying to achieve and then let him make the call on the wood choice. Callmakers that talented know how to achieve a particular sound. If you’re clear about what you’re wanting the call to do, I’d imagine he can make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 02:49:50 PM »
  I can help you make this decision, tell him you want Walnut over poplar.. it will do everything your wanting including just about run itself...