OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Red wing black birds

Started by Wayman, May 13, 2021, 04:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayman

While hunting this morning in a large field that turkey frequent often I saw two hens at different times being dive bombed by red wind black birds . It seemed like they got out of the field as fast as they could due to being harassed. Last week I saw a lot more turkey activity in the field.  Will these small birds make the turkey avoid the field ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

They are very aggressive during nesting season and are even known for going after hawks and people.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

bigriverbum

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 14, 2021, 01:45:01 PM
They are very aggressive during nesting season and are even known for going after hawks and people.

I saw 2 of them attacking a redtail yesterday

Sir-diealot

Quote from: bigriverbum on May 14, 2021, 02:48:23 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 14, 2021, 01:45:01 PM

I saw 2 of them attacking a redtail yesterday
I believe it. I think Starlings do the same.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

aclawrence

I used to see those birds a lot but I don't see them very often anymore. I guess it's just my location.

Sanders153

I'll tell ya another aggressive little bird when it's nesting.. those killdeer.

stinkpickle

Quote from: aclawrence on May 14, 2021, 08:23:30 PM
I used to see those birds a lot but I don't see them very often anymore. I guess it's just my location.

My son mentioned that while we were hunting.  He said he now only sees them when we're out hunting.

Sir-diealot

I think I take notice of my outdoor surroundings a lot more when I am hunting so I do notice them more. I saw the most beautiful bird in a shade of blue I had never seen before. (Not a Bluebird or Bluejay, I know those right off) I wish I had brought my camera with me yesterday but I did not. I did today but did not see the same bird. Moving my location next time I hunt which will be Tuesday and hope to see more birds then, it is a better location for seeing birds.

John Koenig:

Happy

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 15, 2021, 01:34:01 PM
I think I take notice of my outdoor surroundings a lot more when I am hunting so I do notice them more. I saw the most beautiful bird in a shade of blue I had never seen before. (Not a Bluebird or Bluejay, I know those right off) I wish I had brought my camera with me yesterday but I did not. I did today but did not see the same bird. Moving my location next time I hunt which will be Tuesday and hope to see more birds then, it is a better location for seeing birds.
Indigo Bunting?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Happy on May 15, 2021, 04:04:13 PM
Indigo Bunting?

Could have been, the color looks right but it seemed bigger at a distance.

John Koenig:

Happy

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 15, 2021, 10:42:03 PM
Indigo Bunting?

Turn the power down on your binoculars.:)

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

bonasa

I've seen longbeards dive-bombed by the RWBL. The RWBL defend their breeding grounds and nest locations. Turkeys will most definitely eat fledglings and eggs given the opportunity.

hotspur

Quote from: Happy on May 16, 2021, 10:22:45 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 15, 2021, 10:42:03 PM
Indigo Bunting?

Turn the power down on your binoculars.:)

good one , I have been seeing  birds down here in south louisiana that are common in south texas , shift in  summer , winter range  ? Red wings are fearless