OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Lobster rolls in Maine  (Read 1162 times)

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Lobster rolls in Maine
« on: May 13, 2021, 04:05:55 PM »
I’ve got a lot of catching up to do but busy trying to find birds. I’ll post as I can but here are a couple pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Re: Lobster rolls in Maine
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 05:21:10 PM »
Maine
5/11/2021
You’ll see birds everywhere, you’ll get to just pick birds out you want to hunt, you won’t believe how many birds you’ll see etc etc. is all I’ve heard from many different friends who have hunted the area before.  Leave it to our trip to change all those statements. We drove around for half a day and never saw a bird. Finally that evening we me a local guy that Cameron knew and he said he’d help us out  After a few hours of driving around and not seeing a bird he said that this was stranger and I told him welcome to our hunts, lol.  Finally, at dark on 5/10 we pull up to a piece of public ground and hear a bird gobble, so we do have a bird located for the next morning. 
The next morning, we meet up with our Maine buddy and head up the hill to see if we can get close to the bird we heard the evening before. As were slipping down a log road in some fresh cut woods, we spook 2 hens off the roost. We decide to not push it anymore and get set up on some trees. After a few minutes I hear crunching in the leaves and as I turn my head I see a huge coon walking straight to me, when he gets to about 1 inch from my I hit him with my gun barrel and he jumps to the other side of the tree and bows up at me, I thought I was about to get eat up. He decided to climb the tree I was on, thankfully.
Well about 5 min after that encounter a bird gobbles down the hill from us and we all think were good then it happens a bird sounds off and he’s literally on the next tree beside me just behind me. We all just froze and never moved as he gobbles and gobbles and gobbles.  We hear a hen start talking and Bradley starts soft talking to her gambling he wont spook.  It works as the hen pitches out of the tree and land behind us somewhere then we hear a wing beat and silence. He flew down behind us.  We hear a bird gobble below us and I see Bradley spin on his tree now pointing 180deg of where he was aiming. About a minute late he shoots.  We jump up and rush to his bird and it’s a fine one. Double beard and really nice spurs.  What an amazing hunt. I was glad to get to whiteness it. 
We then moved to another property we had looked at the day before and found some birds in a field as we arrived. We made a big loop and I ended up crawling up to a huge rock that I was able to climb up on and lay over and brace my gun.  Bradley calls and 4 birds gobble and start our way. 2 jakes and 2 two year olds.  They work their way to about 10yds and separate for me to get a shot at one of the 2yr olds  I can’t believe it worked out but it was a cool quick hunt.   We loaded up and headed to New Hampshire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk