OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Meadow creek mount a no-go for me  (Read 5803 times)

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Meadow creek mount a no-go for me
« on: May 13, 2021, 10:49:16 AM »
 My awesome wife got me a Meadow creek mount for my Fastfire 3 for my birthday. I am on vacation this week, so this morning i figured i would get it mounted up on my Bps and sighted in, so i could hunt with it the next few days. The mount itself fit perfect, very nicely made, but when i put the gun on my shoulder it sits way too high to be usable. I mean like end of chin weld. Luckily, i had 2 different thickness cheek-eze pads, so i taped one on, then both together, and still not close to raising the comb enough for me. So i tried mounting it up to the bps10, same deal. Absolutely  can't stand not having a cheek weld on any gun, so i guess my son is getting it put on his rem 870 with the sureshot stock. No problem with cheek weld on it. I am not knocking the mount at all, it is very nice, but no way you are getting any sort of a decent cheek weld with it, at least not on a Bps. After reading all the posts and reviews about it, it seemed everyone liked it and didn't need to raise the comb. Well, looks like i have to reinstall the sights back on my gun, and get it sighted back in. At least my son will be happy with it lol!

Offline Ridge Rooster

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Meadow creek mount a no-go for me
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 11:47:08 AM »
It worked fine on my BPS 10GA. I did not notice and issue with it being high.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 12:21:20 PM »
Had to hold my head off the stock to see the dot with mine. Synthetic stock on the 10, wood stock on the 12, perfect on the 870 with the sure shot stock. Really bummed out about it, thought it would work for me. Must be my build or something. Back to beads on the 10,and open sights on the bps 12. Thanks for the feedback!

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 01:07:23 PM »
I had to add an Accu-riser neoprene pad to my stock with the Meadow Creek mount. It was a very nice mount but I wasn't really into the Trijicon RMR so I took it off and have an Aimpoint mico S1 on the way. Hopefully I don't need a cheek pad with this sight.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 01:44:10 PM »
I had to add an Accu-riser neoprene pad to my stock with the Meadow Creek mount. It was a very nice mount but I wasn't really into the Trijicon RMR so I took it off and have an Aimpoint mico S1 on the way. Hopefully I don't need a cheek pad with this sight.
That was my predicament too. Taped on a couple cheek-eze  pads and still couldn't get the height i needed. If either gun was dedicated for turkey, i would have got an accuriser comb for it and screwed it on, but i have 2 barrels for each gun to swap back and forth, depending on what i'm hunting, so i didn't want to mess around with raising the comb. It really lines up great on the 870 sureshot though, but it has a high comb for optic use. The Bps10 shoots dead on with the bead, which is a Champion 3mm Easy hit fiber optic bead, so i guess it is staying as is. The 12 bps always shot off with a tight choke, so i went to fiber optic open sights on it, but my eyesight isn't what it used to be, so i was hoping this mount would work so i could use my FF3 on it. Must be my build causing some of the issues!

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 03:30:47 PM »
Damn Brother....I feel your pain!  Wood to Wood for me! I appreciate you following up with a report. Be well! :OGturkeyhead:

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 04:21:06 PM »

You can’t get any red dot sight that sits lower than the Aimpoint Micro S-1. It literally sits right on the rib. You will love it.....good luck..Ward, maybe this would work for you?
“Solo hunter”

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 05:13:48 PM »
Can't wait to get it. Hope to have it mounted, sighted in and used by the end of the season. I own an Aimpoint 9000 SC since 2016 and its been perfect in every way. I debated the Micro S1 and the Trijicon for a while and should have stayed Aimpoint.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 05:46:43 PM by lunghit »
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 05:27:02 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys! No worries here. I think the problem is that the Bps rib sits higher than the receiver, where the 870 rib is flush with the top of it's receiver, so it sits much lower on the 870 in comparison to the Browning rib. So it is what it is. Nice mount though! I have my Vinci setup for optics, i just don't like toting it through the woods with the 28" barrel much anymore . It is great for sitting in one place, or more open woods and fields, it just got annoying grabbing branches when using a sling lol! I guess i just need to breakdown and build a dedicated gun, and not have a bunch of compromises that i keep trying to work around. But the guns i have, have a lot of history for me, so it is tough to start over with a new one. I'm just a sentimental ol' fool!

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2021, 05:28:36 PM »
Nice setup Tom, that looks like it would work great!

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2021, 07:35:42 PM »
Nice setup Tom, that looks like it would work great!

Hi Ward, you are correct, the SBE rib does sit low, thus it works great. Best of luck.......Agreed, all my guns are sentimental to me as well.....
“Solo hunter”

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 10:49:40 AM »
I was like really how can it be to high? I didn't think about rib height. You should send Meadow Creek an email. I know he is hunting but he did get back to me with my questions.

I went with the AT3 ARO on his website and his mount. Haven't shot it yet. I did mount it and it looks awesome to me. I did have a starburst with the dot without my glasses. That's my eyes.

Side note I have a B Square saddle mount on a Charles Daly Maxi Mag with a Simmons Pro Diamond and have made that work since 2002. That sets up high. I just dig my jaw in it I guess instead of my check bone.

Hope you can figure something out.
Good luck.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2021, 12:48:41 PM »
Yes, i have come to the conclusion that it is just the Bps rib being taller. No biggie though. It does fit great on the 870. I don't think anyone would have any problems with a flat rib gun. I really like the field of view you get with the dot mounted forward like that. I think it is well made, and i wouldn't hesitate to purchase another if i end up with a gun that has a lower rib, or i gun i could raise the comb permanently.

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2021, 09:55:29 PM »
Awesome keep us posted