OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Green slate  (Read 7352 times)

Offline tnanh

• The Boss Gobbler
Green slate
« on: May 12, 2021, 08:20:33 PM »
It doesn't seem like green slate gets as much mention as other slate or other surfaces. I was
Wondering why. Is it hard to play, hard to condition, or have I just not been paying much attention to the discussion. I have a red slate and like it ok but not my favorite. I have a gray slate on a two sider I really like. Just wondering about green slate.

Offline shatcher

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Green slate
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 09:06:27 PM »
I'll step out there and reveal some secrets.  Green slate is the way to go.  In no particular order:  Mark Cornelius (Mac) walnut pot, Brad Roberts in a cedar pot, Hank's in osage and Paul Hicks in walnut.

You're all set!

Offline Sanders153

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Lord Jesus Christ - The Way, Truth, and the Life.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 09:18:41 PM »
Agreed on that. I got my first green slate from Gary Anderson this year. Had no idea what I was missing till I first ran that striker across it. Talk about a natural nasal hen sound

Offline tnanh

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 12:30:36 PM »
Thanks a lot. It just doesnt seem like people talk about green slate as much as other surfaces. I saw a guy in west Tennessee that makes some nice turkey noise on just a flat piece of green slate is one of the reasons I ask.

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 02:10:37 PM »
Yeah, you've been under a rock (No offense, I mean this light heartedly). I think green slate is likely the most popular of the colored slates to hit the market the last few years.

Green and red are about equal other than literal color, purple too really. If you're not too happy with the red you currently have I would recommend trying green from a different maker rather than a different color from same maker. The common consensus is green runs the highest, red is middle, and purple has the most bass in it, but as I said before they're all about equal and a maker can tune any of them about the same, it's likely just how they get tuned because of that preconceived notion of how some people think a call "should" sound; but that's delving into a whole different can of worms.

All of the colored slate will truly shine with a fresh scrubbing of scotchbrite to the slate and the striker tip, it doesn't require the scrub to play, but you will notice how much brighter it sounds when fresh scrubbed. They require a little extra attention to keep the surface fresh scrubbing multiple times throughout a long morning hunt but the tone/playability of the calls makes up for that minor inconvenience.

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 02:17:20 PM »
I have several green and red from various makers.  To me the green is higher pitched.  I prefer the red.  Specifically Buster's.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 03:19:28 PM »
I have a green slate in a Curupay pot that Steve Morgenstern made for me last year and it's great.  Someone recommended him for a green slate pot.  I also have a Lonzo Trice green slate in Bubinga pot that runs well.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 03:25:04 PM »
My Spalted Maple With Green Slate. From Mac Turkey Calls is actually my favorite pot call.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline BTH

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Proverbs 3:5-6. I like the snood!
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 03:27:49 PM »
I have bought and sold 11 different green slate pots over the past few years. Paul Durham gets my vote for his ziricote green slate over glass. Didn't kill with it this season BUT it got a ton of responses. Dustin's green slate over glass in a cherry pot, Brad's cedar pot green slate over glass and Buster's green slate over glass in a persimmon pot would be a 3 way tie for 2nd IMO.
Phil 4:13

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2021, 05:07:02 PM »
I have bought and sold 11 different green slate pots over the past few years. Paul Durham gets my vote for his ziricote green slate over glass. Didn't kill with it this season BUT it got a ton of responses. Dustin's green slate over glass in a cherry pot, Brad's cedar pot green slate over glass and Buster's green slate over glass in a persimmon pot would be a 3 way tie for 2nd IMO.
Paul's Green and Red slates are as good as they come. I too would recommend reaching out to Paul Durham for a green or red slate, whichever is available and you will not be disappointed.

Online wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2021, 07:09:08 PM »
Durham makes a good one
Roberts green slate in cedar is nice too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2021, 11:51:41 AM »
Brad Roberts green slate in a cedar pot is a turkey killing machine.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2021, 09:20:55 PM »
If I could only carry one surface it would be green slate. If I could only have one person make that call it would be a Buster Halford persimmon pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sanders153

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Lord Jesus Christ - The Way, Truth, and the Life.
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2021, 11:33:07 PM »
How can you get ahold of Buster Halford, or see some of his pots

Offline Mathews.1

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2021, 11:47:00 PM »
He’s on Facebook