OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Patterning

Started by Turkeyman, May 12, 2021, 09:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeyman

I use a red dot and, when patterning, start at 25 yards off the sandbags using standard high brass,  1 1/4 oz. 12 ga. shells. After I get it where I want it...which doesn't take more than a couple shots, I'll try a turkey load. My question for those of you that pattern a lot is this: Do you notice a POA vs. POI difference between various shells?

lowoctane

:morning:
Some difference but not much.
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

joey46

Never much and always elevation never windage. 

zelmo1

At 25 there should not be much difference. 40 is the better test

Dtrkyman

Fortunately my hand loads and cheap dove loads are spot on up close so I can check things without throwing 10$ a crack down range!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wigsplitter

At 25 there should not be much difference. 40 is the better test

This!!

Tail Feathers

Some years back I sighted mine in at 25, then 40.  When I had it right I shot a round at 10 yards with some pheasant load 6's.  it's real tight and a bit low because I shoot a red dot.

Now I start at 10 yards and look for a hit at that same spot.  Knowing what the 10 yard shot should look like helps get you real close when breaking out the turkey loads to verify sight in.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

bbcoach

With my red dot, I sight in at 12-13 yards with dove loads.  This does 2 things, it gives me a nice tight pattern to dial to and with most red dots having a 1/2 inch per click adjustment at 50, it gives me 1/8th inch adjustments at 12-13 yards to get it spot on.  Then I shoot at a 30" x 30" target at 40 with one turkey load to see what I have.