OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

It's Been a Pleasure....

Started by GobbleNut, May 30, 2011, 10:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

...to be on the Crusaders with all of you!  Thanks to Anthony and David for all their efforts on our behalf.   It appears that we are going to end up one bird short of the ten-bird limit for the team.  And even if we had another one, we would have fallen far short of the winning team. 

A few comments:  (Just need to get this off my chest....)
The contest is just for fun,...and as such, it does not matter who wins or loses. To me, what does matter is that each of the teams has an opportunity to compete on an even playing field.  It is obvious the way the contest is set up, there is no way for that to happen.  No sour grapes intended, ...just pointing out the facts.

We would have had to average over 70 points per bird to compete in the contest.  I don't know about you guys, but where I do most of my hunting, a 70-point bird does not exist.  I have scored hundreds of Merriams gobblers from around here.  There has not been one that I have scored that has reached 70.  I am sure that situation exists in other places as well.

The point is, that anybody who is in that situation is essentially a non-factor in the contest, and puts their team at a disadvantage right from the start.  If the contest format stays as it is now, the Crusaders, and other teams like ours, will never be competitive.

I appreciate the opportunity to be on the team with all of you guys.  As long as I continue to be invited, I will be a Crusader.,...assuming the team-picking format does not change.  However, I would prefer a system be adopted that levels the playing field so that teams like ours have a legitimate and fair chance at competing.  As it is now, we do not.

Does it really make a difference to me?...and probably to all of you?  No, it doesn't.   The simple truth, though, is that the contest could be better,...much better,... and could be set up so that it is fair and equitable to everybody involved.

My final comment (for now), is that I understand and appreciate the effort that Shannon and Annie have put into this forum.  I thank them for what they have created here.  Most of it is fantastic,...but, frankly, the contest needs to be changed so that we are all a part of it.

Woodsman4God

While Iagree with your statements, leveling the playing field is alot harder than what you suggest, some uneven the field by going to multiple states and take their best, you would have to survey everyone and then try to decipher whos if you will elite and whos average and then whos below average. In years past just hitting the bird limit put you into contention and the occasional 80-90 point freak bird tipped the balance, what you mention is admirable however not really possible i would think

Woodsman4God

Forgot to add, it has been a pleasure also, I have enjoyed it once again

anthonyjhallen

To me winning the contest would be great but most important thing to me is getting to know yall and going through your season with you.  That is what makes this contest great to me.

All in all it has been a great season even though we were not in the running.  And I am already looking forward for next year.

BOFF

It's a contest with no prizes, only bragging rights. I don't foresee anyway to make it equal, as there will continue to be newer members join, and older ones to drop out.

I do see the contest as an opportunity to meet new friends, and have some fun. I have to remember this, as I'm quite competitive in most all I do. It is what it is.

It's been great to meet each of you through the internet though, and I'm already counting down the days to next season.

God Bless,
David B.

hookedspur

I only joined a group to have fun and meet and keep track of new friends While hunting my favorite game bird , no favorite game period ,and I did that . Thanks Friends I had a GREAT time keeping track of each of you through your posts . Thanks for sharing . I cant wait till next season.!!!!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions