OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Common topic trends on site  (Read 625 times)

Offline topnotch

Common topic trends on site
« on: May 11, 2021, 06:39:51 PM »
I haven't kept up with the dialog since season started in April, but I am seeing a common dialog on several post.
Seems like the influx of new hunters and the debate on the turkey population problem is the rage.
If we don't get young people involved than face it the sport will die, from lack of funds and elected political agendas.
I'm not here to debate either of these but I will ask you to look at Georgia's DNR work being lead by Dr Chamberlain.
His project's info is spot on what I'm seeing this year in East TN. Fewer hens then I've ever seen in 30 years of hunting. I have had Coyotes and a fox come in too calling and found one nest busted littered with hen feathers.
Easterns are fewer this year here. Without someone to pick up the cause and push for improvements, I fear this section of the state will return to way it was in the 1980s when just seeing a turkey during the season was a major feat. TWRA and NWTF are not perfect but it's the best tools we have to secure the future of turkey hunting in this state. I do have high hopes for the newly formed TFT organization, its theme is the correct one.

Offline Sanders153

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Lord Jesus Christ - The Way, Truth, and the Life.
Re: Common topic trends on site
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 07:01:13 PM »
Well said.. If a family doesn't have any children, the bloodline dies when the elders pass away. Same effect with hunting. I also have high hopes for wild turkey Nationwide. Hopefully more than enough folks will care about them, and help bring them back in places and States where they are struggling currently.