turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Call consistency. Thoughts and opinions

Started by slave601, May 11, 2021, 11:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slave601

I've been running dead end game calls for quite sometime now. The shipwreck, 2 and 3 reed batwing. Every year it seems to be trending that the consistency in these calls are getting worse and worse. This year I spent a lot of money and I mean a lot of money trying new calls. I feel like I'm an above average caller. I've been invited to a few calling competitions but I don't feel the need or want to go that route. With that being said I can fiddle with a mouth call long enough for it to sound decent enough to probably harvest a bird. That's not what I'm looking for. I like to be the best at my hobbies. I tried out rolling thunder and fell in love with their 3 reed batwing. I bought around 20 of them if I'm not mistaken. Only to have about 4 sound proper and worth working with. The rest sounded like a single reed call that was stretched so tight with not one bit of rasp at all. What's the deal with the inconsistency of these major call makers???? Who do y'all feel makes a pretty consistent choice of calls? I know not all calls will sound exactly the same. I've been running diaphragm calls for over 20 years now. Any lead in the right direction would be some help. Thanks
"thinnin the flock"

silvestris

Expect that a fairly low percentage of mouth helpers will be consistent with what you consider acceptable.  Still, a good one is a terrific caller for as long as it lasts, somewhat likes good woman.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Sanders153

Lost lake turkey calls. Mr Joe Mole will help you out, all he does is mouth calls and they've all been good for me

Terry

Do yourself a favor and start making your own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slave601

Quote from: Terry on May 11, 2021, 12:49:18 PM
Do yourself a favor and start making your own

I'm on the verge of diving head first into it to be honest
"thinnin the flock"

crow

Saddler McCraw's ghost cut have been very consistent from call to call and all have sounded good

compton30

If you begin down the road of making your own calls, you'll realize that the best call maker for you, is YOU! Truly a fantastic feeling knowing you can just whip up a fresh mouth call whenever you feel and know it'll be game ready.

slave601

I totally agree and more than likely that's the route I'm going to take
"thinnin the flock"

paboxcall

I'm unfamiliar with the OP's issue.

I run Gooserbat and Denny Gulvas mouthcalls, and have yet opened up one and thought it was a sub-standard. They are, of all the calls I've tried over the years, to be very consistent and of the highest quality.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

RUN-N-GUN

I've ran into the same issue. I'm not a competition caller by no means. But I know what kind of sound I'm looking for. I think I'm going to start stretching my own.

Meleagris gallopavo

Gooserbat calls have been very consistent for me. 

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Gooserbat

Call consistency can be a tricky thing.  Different batches of latex, different thickness of latex, different stretch, different back tension, variation in the cuts and so on. 

I'll venture to say if a call line is made by a single call builder it's going to be more consistent.  Also I've tested a lot of things and I believe if you are trying to get a certain pitch and tone along with a distinct playability then once you learn to duplicate it everything else pretty much comes into alignment.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

dzsmith

I have 3 cuts I typically run. I buy several of each of the cuts every year. I probably keep 1/3 of them. Its just the way it is....theres no magic manufacturer. Some are worse than others, and its obvious. I have been running gooserbat almost exclusively for about the last 5 years. I like small frame calls, so they work for me.....but do some of them get thrown away....yes.  the big thing for me is clucking. if I put a call in my mouth and try to cluck and it squeeks....straight to trash can.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."