turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What was different about today?

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, May 11, 2021, 09:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

I notice things.  Today was my worst day turkey hunting this year because I heard no gobbling and saw no turkeys.  It was dead.  I talked to 2 other turkey hunters in the same area that said the same thing.  One of them was hunting where I had hunted Sunday and yesterday and I heard a ton of gobbling both days, mostly from jakes.  At peak gobbling time here (5:45 - 6:15 AM) the temps were in the upper 50s with as much as a 2 mph wind.  Barometric pressure was 30.15 give or take a little.  Humidity was around 70%.  The interesting thing I noticed though was that many birds I normally hear in the morning were silent.  Oddly I heard no owls or crows (first morning I haven't seen a crow), but the oddest thing I saw were Canada geese flying over silently.  Normally those things are always honking and many mornings they trigger gobbling.    If I could figure out what was different about this morning in SE Virginia and NE North Carolina I'd have something. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Fullfan

That has been my last week and a half. Watched a strutter and hen walk off a field last night 20 min before dark. Was there this morning ready and waiting, not a peep. Same happened last Monday, under 3 hens and two long beards. Watch all 5 fly down and feed away. No gobbling, hen talk or strutting. Starting to wonder NW/Pa
Don't gobble at me...

crow

What direction was a the wind from where you were at today.

The days when I've noticed the woods being the "deadest" with no crow or small bird noises/activity, and no gobbling it usually is an east wind, doesn't have to be much of a wind, just from that direction.

the next worse seems to be ENE, ESE and NE

fallhnt

Is it that bad that you posted this 3x?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: fallhnt on May 11, 2021, 06:41:51 PM

Did you enjoy it all 3x?  I may have been commenting in another thread about it. 

Will

Quote from: crow on May 11, 2021, 03:17:35 PM
What direction was a the wind from where you were at today.

The days when I've noticed the woods being the "deadest" with no crow or small bird noises/activity, and no gobbling it usually is an east wind, doesn't have to be much of a wind, just from that direction.

the next worse seems to be ENE, ESE and NE

This topic is very interesting because today I heard zero gobbling and we had an East wind. Although slight it did appear to come from the East. Funny thing is I've heard guys talk about this for deer hunting East wind is no good.

Meleagris gallopavo

NNE and ENE

perrytrails

When the winds from the East
Hunting and fishing is the Least.

Old saying, it seems to be true.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: fallhnt on May 11, 2021, 06:41:51 PM

Now I see the multiple posts.  No clue how that happened.