OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What was different about today?  (Read 2238 times)

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
What was different about today?
« on: May 11, 2021, 09:43:31 AM »
I notice things.  Today was my worst day turkey hunting this year because I heard no gobbling and saw no turkeys.  It was dead.  I talked to 2 other turkey hunters in the same area that said the same thing.  One of them was hunting where I had hunted Sunday and yesterday and I heard a ton of gobbling both days, mostly from jakes.  At peak gobbling time here (5:45 - 6:15 AM) the temps were in the upper 50s with as much as a 2 mph wind.  Barometric pressure was 30.15 give or take a little.  Humidity was around 70%.  The interesting thing I noticed though was that many birds I normally hear in the morning were silent.  Oddly I heard no owls or crows (first morning I haven’t seen a crow), but the oddest thing I saw were Canada geese flying over silently.  Normally those things are always honking and many mornings they trigger gobbling.    If I could figure out what was different about this morning in SE Virginia and NE North Carolina I’d have something. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
Re: What was different about today?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 10:26:56 AM »
Couldn't tell you but I haven't heard a peep this morning either. I did hear owls,crows and songbirds though

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline slave601

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 11:09:23 AM »
I’ve had more silent mornings this year than ever. There have been days the pressure was just right and everything in the world was sounding off. Everything but a turkey. Then the next day to be humid and warm and turkeys sounding off everywhere. It’s just nature I guess
"thinnin the flock"

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 11:18:48 AM »
If I could figure out what was different about this morning in SE Virginia and NE North Carolina I’d have something. 

And what that be?  You would still be left with silent service.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 11:28:32 AM »
If I could figure out what was different about this morning in SE Virginia and NE North Carolina I’d have something. 

And what that be?  You would still be left with silent service.
I wouldn’t get up and hunt on mornings like this if I knew how to predict them.

Offline CALLM2U

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 11:33:35 AM »
I've experienced this in the 'deer woods' as well.   Dead-dead, like not even tweetie birds chirping.  Can be kinda creepy-like you're in a horror movie.   ;D

I've never found any correlation either.

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 11:35:20 AM »
Usually crows are out in the fields wherever I hunt.  Never saw one this morning.

Offline TKE921

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 03:01:56 PM »
Funny this came up today.  I had several friends call me and tell me in both WV and VA the birds were absolutely on fire and gobbling the woods down.  I also saw 2 bears out while on my way to work

Offline Sanders153

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Lord Jesus Christ - The Way, Truth, and the Life.
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 03:13:16 PM »
The forests still hold secrets that we haven't discovered despite all these technological advances.. it would definitely be nice to be able to predict those types of mornings though

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 03:41:21 PM »
What was the barometric pressure in your area yesterday, or say yesterday evening in comparison to this morning? I've observed this year good amounts of gobbling on high pressure but low quality mornings, and high quality conditions with low pressure be real quiet. Only been on one gobble-less hunt this year and I've been in the woods 20+ days

The reason I ask is a falling pressure throughout morning usually tight lipped even if it's not falling much and a rising pressure will have them hammering. A "high" pressure that has already stalled out could render little gobbling.

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 04:22:43 PM »
Near the Mason/Dixon line, pressure was 30.13, had two gobblers gobble their fool heads off and run me around and around till wind kicked up late morning and they faded off.

The crows and ravens were very, very raucous for hours this morning, never heard them make such a fuss. 
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 06:09:44 AM »
Pressure was around 30.15.

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2021, 07:18:35 AM »
Pressure was around 30.15.

Sitting in Kansas right now with a 30.4 and the birds are gobbling decent. Yesterday evening it was 30.2 so not much increase but it's enough it's got them gobbling more than yesterday. Other conditions are about all things equal.

Offline Howie g

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2021, 05:25:47 AM »
If there’s no dew on the ground and a easterly wind ? = they ain’t saying much .

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2021, 11:03:48 AM »
It used to bother me more than it does now, but it’s part of turkey hunting, and I’m glad to be in the woods anyway. If I could predict those days when birds are quiet, I’d probably skip out more, but then again I’ve killed a few on those quiet days so it’s still better to be in the woods than not.

I’ve noticed sometimes the songbirds are loud but the turkeys are quiet, sometimes everything’s quiet, but it’s those days when the woods light up with gobbles that keep me coming back at the butt crack of dawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro