OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Looking to Buy a Trumpet. Advice Needed.  (Read 3312 times)

Offline Tally Turkey

Looking to Buy a Trumpet. Advice Needed.
« on: May 10, 2021, 05:07:46 PM »
Hi everyone,

New to the forum and really enjoying reading all the great info y'all provide. Apologies if this topic is covered in another thread. If so, please point me to it.

I am looking to buy a trumpet and have searched through the threads and come up with the following list of trumpet makers below. Please feel free to suggest additional makers not on my list. My number one criteria is sound - this is purely a hunting trumpet so sound, tone, etc. is everything and looks is a distant second. I would also like to have it by March 1 2022 if possible (the earlier the better, as I will need a bunch of practice). I realize this won't be attainable for some of the makers below considering the demand. I hunt easterns in Florida for what it's worth. Any input is greatly appreciated, so thank you in advance.

List of makers:
-Darrell Gipson
-Lewis Stowe
-Misfire
-Billy Buice (retiring so probably not an option)
-Bryan Mero
-Greg Gwaltney
-Robert Glover - Crawdad adjustable?
-Cory Chustz
-Kenny Pedalahore
-Austin Bott
-Kenny Morgan
-Ralph Permar
-Marlin Watkins
-Jason Rohrer
-Kevin Lynch
-Cox (not sure first name)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 10:37:59 PM by Tally Turkey »

Offline Longtom1.5

Re: Looking to Buy a Trumpet. Advice Needed.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 05:48:59 PM »
Charlie Trotter
Jeff Erb
Matt McClain
Bob Buckner
Jon Dangerfield

Offline Bedge7767

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 06:16:04 PM »
Good luck in your search. Buying trumpets is like eating potato chips. Hard to stop at just one.
Jim

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 06:47:49 PM »
Good luck in your search. Buying trumpets is like eating potato chips. Hard to stop at just one.

Haha yep.  You'll own every one of those until you find the one that works for you best.  That's why we have a classifieds section.  ;D
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 07:20:46 PM »
I am no expert, I am still learning and struggling but the one piece of advise I will offer is what I wish I had done, get one call and one call only and don't try to learn on multiple calls, that is the mistake I made and I am paying for it. Also get the best you can afford. I guess that makes two pieces of advise, sue me, I have ADD/ADHD and I am pretty sure dyscalculia :D
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 08:11:02 PM »
Jason Rohrer and Kevin Lynch make wingbones.

Trumpets, wingbones and Jordans all require the same technique. All those listed make quality calls that have the "potential" to sound good.
The other very major factor is the guy running the call. Expect to spend some serious time, but if you do, it will be well worth it.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Looking to Buy a Trumpet. Advice Needed.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 08:43:48 PM »
Anthony Ellis, Irving Whitt, Rick Alessandrini, Clay Townsend, Mike Lapp, Daryal Gosey (HUGE second to Charlie Trotter who wasn’t on your original list). And while EZ’s being modest mentioning other Jordan and wingbone makers, Tony Ezolt is making as fine a Jordan or wingbone as anyone alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 08:45:19 PM »
And while EZ’s being modest mentioning other Jordan and wingbone makers, Tony Ezolt is making as fine a Jordan or wingbone as anyone alive.

Agree with you about Tony.

Need to add Mark Sharpe to this list as well.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Bedge7767

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 08:49:20 PM »
Add Dave Hodgkins to the list (Black Falcon). His trumpets are very nice.
Jim

Offline Tally Turkey

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 09:45:57 PM »
Thank you all for the reply. It sounds like any of these guys are good options.

Offline Mathews.1

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2021, 09:56:47 PM »
He doesn’t make many but Richard Hudson

Offline Bedge7767

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2021, 10:05:59 PM »
Daryl Slaton makes a fine trumpet also. So many talented makers to choose from.
Jim

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2021, 10:57:26 PM »
All of the guys that have been mentioned are great choices.Jeff Erb and Charlie Trotter are very high on my list of favorites and hard to beat IMO. If you are new and not really wanting to break the bank there is a guy on here that goes by LabsRusll he owns TTP calls and is building some great calls.

Offline Tally Turkey

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2021, 05:30:08 PM »
Thank you all for the advice - It was very helpful. I ended up going with Mr. Ralph Permar. Very nice guy to talk to, and he sampled his trumpets over the phone with me which was insightful. Went with the 1930 style trumpet and the improved Jordan yelper. Can't wait for them to come in and frustrate the heck out of me until I figure them out!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 10:37:34 PM by Tally Turkey »

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2021, 05:35:26 PM »
Thank you all for the advice - It was very helpful. I ended up going with Mr. Ralph Premar. Very nice guy to talk to, and he sampled his trumpets over the phone with me which was insightful. Went with the 1930 style trumpet and the improved Jordan yelper. Can't wait for them to come in and frustrate the heck out of me until I figure them out!

Congrats - now the hard part - waiting. That wait gets even harder when he calls you that they're ready and you watch the tracking number LOL.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer