OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: One sided vs two  (Read 2499 times)

Offline Sanders153

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Lord Jesus Christ - The Way, Truth, and the Life.
One sided vs two
« on: May 10, 2021, 08:10:31 AM »
What do you guys think about one sided boxes? Do you like them over two sided, and are there and pros/cons to them compared to two sides? Look forward to everyone's thoughts as I have never owned a one sided but am curious about them

Offline jrinny

Re: One sided vs two
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 01:41:55 PM »
I have a one sider from Josh Farley in Purple Heart/ cedar as well as a two sider in the same wood combination. One of  of the pros of the one sider - it is easier to keep locked down while in the vest or how ever you carry it . It does everything the two sider can do on that same rail. The two sider has an advantage of having a second rail that has the potential for different sounding hen talk. I hunt both-

Offline tlh2865

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 01:53:36 PM »
I don't hunt with one ciders because they can't gobble. I can crank great gobbles out of the right double sided call but a one sider doesn't have that option. I also feel like I have more room to work the lid on my dominant side If I dont have a stopper on the other side of the call. All that to say that I am not a fan of one siders when a two sided box can do more and I can run one better.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 03:35:28 PM »
I don't hunt with one ciders because they can't gobble. I can crank great gobbles out of the right double sided call but a one sider doesn't have that option. I also feel like I have more room to work the lid on my dominant side If I dont have a stopper on the other side of the call. All that to say that I am not a fan of one siders when a two sided box can do more and I can run one better.

:agreed:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 10:57:56 AM »

:agreed:
  X3..agree also... if i'm going to pay the money for box , i want as much turkey that i can get out of the box...

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 08:05:50 AM »
I have a few.  In general, I like them.  Only downside I can see is you get one turkey instead of two.  However, I've never really had that be a huge problem and I am SURE it's never been the difference between me getting a bird and not.

If you're looking at a one-sider and like the sound..................grab it up.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Nitwit Elitist Whiner
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 12:28:35 AM »
I got a ET one sider that I gave to my son, I thought the simplicity of it would help him in learning and keeping him focused on only the one rail.  He likes it and I think it does help him make very good sounding yelps and clucks. I do think cuts are easier for him on a two sider however. And for me the stop limits the raspy low on the rail yelp I like to make when I draw the lid practically past the closed position. That said in the right hands a one sider like Ed's sounds as good as any box.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Offline KYTURKEY

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 08:35:54 AM »
I love one siders. To me they have more realistic sound to them. The purr they produce is way more realistic than a two sided box. While I can't do it, I have seen a couple of guys gobble on a one sider. Your wrist must be very quick. As for two different hens, you can have multiple different hens in ANY box, if you learn to hold the lid in different ways. Finger placement, and how you work the lid will change the tone of the call, giving you different hens.

Patrick

Offline yelpaholic

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 11:28:54 PM »
only down side is not being able to gobble with one sider but that rarely works anyway for me

Offline Happy hooker

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 09:56:34 AM »
Theoretically one riders should be more realistic,, any conversation by a female is for sure going to be one sided.

Offline Sanders153

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Lord Jesus Christ - The Way, Truth, and the Life.
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2021, 11:51:38 PM »
Lol. I didn't consider that point Happy hooker

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2021, 08:41:48 AM »
Theoretically one riders should be more realistic,, any conversation by a female is for sure going to be one sided.
Good point!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wolfman

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2021, 11:05:57 AM »
I'm on ET's list and looking forward to it.  I can cut better on one siders.  I actually like the sound of the Lynch fool proof over the world champion.

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2021, 02:34:28 PM »
I have two one siders.  I always carry one in the field. They are  more effective for me in the field than a two sider.