OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Im gonna throw a little gas on this here fire.

Started by Pluffmud, May 09, 2021, 10:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

I am wondering where some of those weary old gobblers are the OP mentioned are. They sound about my speed.

On a serious note. Well written and thought out. To be honest I really don't write the rules on turkey this turkey bussiness and don't really care about how others go about it. But I do care about how I go about it and those I help/teach go about it. I like a good discussion as well but we can't go there without hurting feelings and causing fights so I will let it go. It does worry me that a dead turkey is really all that matters to most and not the trials and tribulations that go with learning and perfecting a skill. Everyone wants the easy button and i dont understand why. To me turkey hunting is a joy and an obsession coupled with a desire to work and get better at something. It is as much or more about the journey as the results. I am all for the easy button in some aspects of life but not my hunting or family. I just feel we are such a low effort/high reward society now coupled with a need for notoriety that nothing good is going to come from it.

Discussion is good, seeing all sides of an argument is good. Being able to discuss things as adults is good. The only thing that gets my hackles up is when someone starts to single someone out and get personal with it. Well that and wasting meat. We aren't all going to agree but we can all act civil.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Ol timer

Let's settle this the old-school way Classic muscle car or a shiny new Prius, what is it then???

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: ChiefBubba on May 09, 2021, 12:23:11 PM
I'm more of I don't give a dam how you hunt and I don't give a dam what you think about my hunting. I'm minding my own business and you mind your business. Bubba

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on May 09, 2021, 11:04:12 AM
Whenever it comes to commentary on which way of hunting is the right way, I say if it's legal and it makes you happy, then go for it.
Ethics is another discussion. People have different views on ethics, and that's OK. That's why I defer to legality.
We have enough attacks on hunting from the anti's without attacking each other for using differing techniques.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.
^^^ THIS RIGHT HERE!

I know I go about things in a way that would ruffle the feathers of many purists. Does it keep me awake at night? Nope. Don't care. I enjoy doing things the way I do. And, I've been able to go back to the "old school" meetings when I feel it fits the situation without missing a beat. It's turkeys. I'll go about it any way I legally can. And dang if I'm going to stomp on someone else for doing what's legal in their state. Either way, I still listen intently to both sides and admire the thoughts/opinions of all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoteduster

If it wasn't for social media knowbody would know how many of us hunt PLUS there would be alot fewer turkey hunters in the woods

Sir-diealot

I wanted to read this but I am slightly more than middle age school and that print is to small for my old school eyes.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Roost 1

Quote from: Yoteduster on May 09, 2021, 03:47:43 PM
If it wasn't for social media knowbody would know how many of us hunt PLUS there would be alot fewer turkey hunters in the woods

The best commit yet...a very truthful statement.

arkrem870

I'm from the school of keep your dang mouth shut on social media and quit pimping spots on YouTube.  You killed a turkey in your bottom land matching outfit and leafy jacket??  Awesome buddy...... congrats on your first turkeys. You should have a you tube channel!

Gobbler-one

Quote from: ShootingABN! on May 09, 2021, 11:14:30 AM
Two books

Tenth Legion - Colonel Tom Kelly
The Old Pro Turkey Hunter- Nunnery
X2!

jhoward11

As you threw gas on this here fire, did you use the old school metal cans or the new school plastic ones? Not for sure why I ask because it doesn't matter to me which one you used!!! Both would probably work.  I personally don't throw gas on a fire, because you could get burned.

CALLM2U

When I was younger, I thought I could do it better than the old guys. 

Then I got older, I thought my way was the only way and the young guys were clueless. 

Then I got even more older and realized I'm not, nor have I ever been, as wise as I thought I was. 

bigriverbum

Quote from: CALLM2U on May 10, 2021, 09:37:47 AM
When I was younger, I thought I could do it better than the old guys. 

Then I got older, I thought my way was the only way and the young guys were clueless. 

Then I got even more older and realized I'm not, nor have I ever been, as wise as I thought I was.

:z-winnersmiley:

AndyN

Quote from: Pluffmud on May 09, 2021, 10:00:22 AM

P.S. Is snipe hunting with the use of LED flashlights considered "New School," or does it have to be a halogen flashlight to be "Old Scool?" Asking for a friend... I am without a doubt Old School...

Both are unethical and give you an unfair advantage hunting snipe. You must use a lantern.

NCL

Is there an app for "Old School" and "New School" turkey hunter?