OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: “High Performance” Turkey Guns  (Read 1586 times)

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
“High Performance” Turkey Guns
« on: May 09, 2021, 08:23:20 AM »
Before I start this thought process, I’ll confess that I own more than I need, but with some limits.
I’ve been turkey hunting for 25 years and have seen many changes in my addiction to the sport but it all still comes down to the hunt for me. Over these years and miles in the turkey woods I have always sought ways to become a better hunter and woodsman that was instilled in me by my mentor and friend who was my father in law. He grew up in the depression down in northeast Arkansas on a farm that was surrounded by other farms and woods everywhere. By today’s standards they were very poor but managed an existence even without electricity or running water. Harry learned to hunt pretty much by himself and often was given two .22 rounds and told to ‘go get dinner’, and he became a very good provider for his family. I was truly blessed to be under his wing as his last student! I soon likened him to my impression of what Daniel Boone must’ve been like in the woods. We used to strike out with Missouri’s Conservation Atlas in the truck to previously unknown areas in MO and wherever we ended up it was always the same with him. In a matter of no time at all he was on the game trails identifying all the critters around and where the old home places used to be and where “good spots” were to hunt in. He was amazing and so much fun to be around. He served under Gen Patton as a tank commander but never spoke of things unless they were funny to him. He did say the war is the worst side of humanity and hoped he’d never see anymore in his lifetime. I said all of that to say this about the man’s hunting style: he was a minimalist going out to hunt. We used to go “pattern” our high brass number 4’s to see how far we could effectively kill our quarry and take some food and water and our Lynch 102’s, but that was just about it. Camo was GI and good boots but we relied on finding good natural hiding spots for our ambush, of which he was a master. He taught me how to call and when not to call and the absolute importance of disappearing after the Tom went quiet because ‘now he’s hunting you!’. Of course we know the turkey has incredible eyesight and hearing and Harry used to say that the ‘turkey ain’t curious like a deer is and he knows everything in the woods wants a turkey dinner!’ So after years and miles of boots on the ground I came to respect his style and proficiency.
I said all of this to bring me to my original point of my turkey guns and what part they actually play in my hunts...they’re important for sure, but they are just part of the puzzle for me. Sure I got caught up in the numbers game and still like to know how my particular gun/choke/load performs but not so much anymore as I’m going back more to my roots now and really enjoying matching my wits against these wily birds. Course my camo is better, drier and warmer but every season I look to pare down my needs. I no longer carry my radio because Harry isn’t with me anymore as he’s with his Lord now and there isn’t a hunt I go on now that hasn’t been influenced by him and his training of me. Thanks for reading!  :camohat:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 05:20:10 PM by lowoctane »
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: “High Performance” Turkey Guns
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 08:29:00 AM »
Cool story man. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline shatcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 08:30:26 AM »
Thanks for the very nice, heartfelt post.

Online Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 08:44:03 AM »
Great read.. Thanks for sharing

Offline Ozarks Hillbilly

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 08:50:32 AM »
Good read, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 10:20:42 AM »
Making those pass memories are some of the best memories.

Online Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 10:34:21 AM »
We all got here different ways.  I unashamedly use a high end gun, loads, camo, calls, and boots.  I use online maps.  However at the end of the day nothing trips woodsmanship and patience.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 10:44:29 AM »
Thanks for sharing that story, sounds like a good man. Been fortunate to share a camp with a few of them as well.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2021, 10:54:55 AM »
You changing your hunting style is a fitting tribute to your friend.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2021, 11:04:20 AM »
Awesome story.

It's hard for me to believe sometimes the advance in ammo. As well as all of our hunting gear. I remember killing turkeys with Winchester Super Double X, 25 count in a white box 3" $15. That's before turkey ammo  10 in a box for $10 talk about marketing... LOL
old 870 that has been spray painted 3x lol.... To new ultra real camo dipping....

God bless....

Offline Old Timer

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2021, 07:57:10 PM »
Great read. Reminds me of my Uncle Al who grew up in the depression. He was blind in his left eye and carried a single shot goose gun. We would be rabbit hunting and he would only carry 3 shells. I would ask him why? His response would be that all i want. Never seen him miss a duck either. What a mentor.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2021, 08:18:13 PM »
great read thank you!

Offline Yoteduster

• Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2021, 10:51:40 PM »
That's a great story thanks for posting

Offline Tom007