OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Dad tags out with a hard well earned bird

Started by turkeyhunter91, May 07, 2021, 08:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyhunter91

They have kicked our butts this year.We have hunted this bird a few times all season and like most birds this year he has stayed a step ahead of us. We actually went in and hunted him this morning after fly down. He was gobbling good but when I started calling he shut up. While waiting on him a different bird in the holler went to gobbling and same story went to calling and he shut up. I had some business I had to do so we left out. After I got everything taken care of we went back and noticed a tom standing in the field right by where we had been that morning on the 2nd setup. We made a big loop and got prob about 100 yards from the field and while me and connor dad was able to crawl up closer to the field. He ended up skirting by about 60 yards away. A few mins after he went out of sight there was a bird that started gobbling up on the ridge above us and I had a good idea where he was headed. Dad comes back up to us and I told him let's get back up on top and try to get in front of this bird. As we get up close to where I wanted to get he gobbles back to our left, i thought he would have been to our right so that changed where we was headed. I told dad crawl up to that tree and we will hang back, about the time dad gets there I look down the fence row and see him coming our way only stopping to gobble every min or 2. I get the camera up and recording. He comes out right in front of dad but I guess he had accidentally bumped the forearm release and he had to push it back up. The bird is standing about 25 yards away and dad rolls him. This is the 5th bird we have killed with my reloads this year. Its definitely been a tuff season but it was a bitter sweat feeling cause now were done for the year and wont be chasing turkeys again till next spring, I have watched 6 birds hit the ground this season. He weighed 24 pound 8 ounces, had a 10 3/4 in beard and both spurs were broke, 1 was 1 1/4 and the other broke off quite a bit shorter at 7/8.

knifeshark

Nice when a plan comes together! Congratulations on a super bird!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoteduster