turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Short barrel patterns

Started by JodyPenny, May 06, 2021, 07:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JodyPenny

Thinking of using my 18in HD barrel for my Mossberg 930 for turkey. It has been threaded for chokes. What kind of patterns can I expect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lowoctane

Well I have an 18" barrel for my 870 but it uses Winchokes and I run tight chokes and get some nice patterns with LB 3"x6's.
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

DUCKDIGGLER

Here is my 40 yard pattern with my Benelli Vinci Tactical 18.5" barrel with Hevi Shot choke tube....load is Winchester Longbeard XR 3" 1 3/4 oz of #4s. .......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lowoctane

Quote from: DUCKDIGGLER on May 09, 2021, 07:03:05 PM
Here is my 40 yard pattern with my Benelli Vinci Tactical 18.5" barrel with Hevi Shot choke tube....load is Winchester Longbeard XR 3" 1 3/4 oz of #4s. .......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dead bird!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

DUCKDIGGLER

lowoctane....I dont grab a 12 ga much any more but that combo has layed a few of them out and man o man...#4s, IF YOU CAN GET THEM TO PATTERN are crazy good medicine! That gun, choke and load combo is very consistent. 

lowoctane

DUCKDIGGLER-
I've messed with 4's but have had such incredible patterns with the LB 3"x6's that they have taken over my ammo box! It remains to be seen what 2021 will do for ammo mfg companies. I do have an interest in Win's Rooster line too, so I'll be playing around with those as well.
Back in the day, 4's ruled and there was many a bird that fell to just one #4 "bb", a few at ridiculous ranges, so I would love to run 4's once again! :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

DUCKDIGGLER

Yes sir.....I'm an old Bassturd so I still have an 1187 that Mark Banser (sp?) cut and sleeved the barrel for Federal Premium 1 5/8oz #4s.....that thing shot good....to about 35 yards...but not like this gun does.  I too love the high pellet counts on the #6s.....but to me....that dog will hunt with a pattern of #4s like that.

Still tend to grab one of my 20 ga. guns for the last 3 seasons I think all my birds have been taken with the  20s.  I have had a very good season thus far but still have a couple of tags left (we get too many here , 5 tags) and I may take my old 1300 Turkey gun out for a walk....and maybe this gal too! Damn season never seems long enough!

lowoctane

5 roosters?!?! Where do u live son?!
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

DUCKDIGGLER

People's Republic of CT!  :newmascot:

Sad truth is there is no way the Turkey's can take the pressure.  I hunt several pieces of private and allow myself 1 Gobbler off of each piece.....then I move on to State land....same deal there....I figure if I am fortunate to punch 5 tags I will try and spread the pressure around to different flocks. I wont take a jake bird nor a bearded hen.....nor will I shoot 2 turkeys from the same flock in the same morning either. Just a few of the personal code of conduct points I go by. I dont have a problem with folks doing what they do...as long as it's legal. My ethics are just that, MY ETHICS. DD :OGturkeyhead:

lowoctane

:morning:
Ah, CT! Crazy limits for such a state...
I applaud your self restriction and agree with your logic sir. You make perfect sense to me. This current season saw two gobblers taken from the same flock by a hunter on a neighboring farm. Sad. One bird was coming to me only to be intercepted by this person and then shortly thereafter I heard another shot, so I'm assuming same flock. I was in the process of moving to the other side of the farm when the shot came from the same area so pretty sure it was from the same guy.
We had a very cold winter here in MO so I didn't really know what to expect this Spring, and spring came early this year so by the time our season started a majority of the breeding had already happened and the boys had pretty well shut up around us.
This season I spent the opening week with a young man wanting to learn about turkey hunting so we struck out to public land that used to be productive for me, but to no avail. We did work one bird but overall there wasn't much interest in us. Again, I think it was because of the early Spring. We did have fun tho and my young friend did seem to soak up my experiences and some of my tricks of the trade.  :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life