turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

VA Hunters

Started by Chordeiles, May 06, 2021, 11:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chordeiles

Don't know if it's been posted yet, but Virginia DWR has a proposal that would change spring hunting hours to allow for all day hunting (entire season).

Public comment period closes on May 10th.

https://dwr.virginia.gov/regulations/proposed-regulation-amendment/?vac=15-240-40

Meleagris gallopavo

That'll be interesting.  Most states are putting on more restrictions.  I hunt in NC and VA and NC has been all day hunting for the whole season for a long time.  I like hunting first thing due to being able to hear gobbling and being able to still get to work on time during the week.  I have had some successful afternoon hunts but it's a whole different ball game altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

ShootingABN!

Ouch, well our numbers will soon go down....

Chordeiles

Quote from: ShootingABN! on May 06, 2021, 01:45:39 PM
Ouch, well our numbers will soon go down....
I'm sure it will be approved, because DWR is all about the $$.

But, because I'm a hypocrite (who works third shift), I'm sure I'll be out in the woods more than a couple of afternoons next year.

tlh2865

Yeah id like to see that not pass. Just gonna get field birds shot with a rifle where i'm at

WAGinVA

FYI, Gary Norman gave fairly strong comments against this proposal.  Gary was the long time lead turkey biologist for the VADWR.  Gary received the NWTF lifetime achievement award last year.  If Gary has a reason to oppose the reg change I will have to side with him.

1ST DRAW

Thanks for the tip. Just added a few comments. I would rather see them open public land to Sunday hunting (not just on private) and leave the times alone.   

CALLM2U

Quote from: 1ST DRAW on May 06, 2021, 03:37:13 PM
Thanks for the tip. Just added a few comments. I would rather see them open public land to Sunday hunting (not just on private) and leave the times alone.   

My thoughts exactly!  I'd rather open up Sundays on public land and keep the whole season at noon closure. 

TKE921

I went in and voiced my NO vote.  I may live in WV but I hold my lifetime non-resident license in VA

Chordeiles

Quote from: WAGinVA on May 06, 2021, 02:54:25 PM
FYI, Gary Norman gave fairly strong comments against this proposal.  Gary was the long time lead turkey biologist for the VADWR.  Gary received the NWTF lifetime achievement award last year.  If Gary has a reason to oppose the reg change I will have to side with him.
Indeed....
I've never had the pleasure of talking to Gary, face to face. The few email conversations we've had, I gathered that he is a helluva nice guy who actually cares about our Wild Turkeys.

RiverBuck

I hope it does open all day.

beakbuster10

If it wasn't open season on hens for months out of the year, our turkey population would be in much better shape. Duncan knew he was on the way out, and he threw a January season in there too. Until we stop killing hens nothing will change.

Happy

Quote from: beakbuster10 on May 07, 2021, 09:20:38 AM
If it wasn't open season on hens for months out of the year, our turkey population would be in much better shape. Duncan knew he was on the way out, and he threw a January season in there too. Until we stop killing hens nothing will change.

Is fall hunting pretty popular in VA?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

beakbuster10

Quote from: Happy on May 07, 2021, 09:30:21 AM
Quote from: beakbuster10 on May 07, 2021, 09:20:38 AM

Is fall hunting pretty popular in VA?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Compared to most other states yes.

You can kill hen turkeys in Virgina with a bow for a month and half in the fall.

You can kill them with a firearms for two months. Including a January season that the old director of our state game agency pushed for on his was out the door. He's a huge fall turkey hunter so while we stomp our feet about shooting gobblers at 1300, it's all good to blast hens for an addition few weeks just before they begin breeding...

Ihuntoldschool

Terrible idea in a rifle state like this. They need to get rid of rifles for turkey hunting but that will not happen in Virginia anytime soon. 
I'm sure they will pass it. Money is more important to them than protecting the resource.