OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Another beautiful day in VA**Story Added**  (Read 1203 times)

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Another beautiful day in VA**Story Added**
« on: May 05, 2021, 11:06:44 PM »
I’m beat but I’ll share the story soon. Another epic day in some rough country for this MS boy.

5/5/21
VA
We didn’t have any luck off the roost and haven’t heard a gobble in a while so we were working the ridge tops and field edges.  Calling every 75-100yds. After my last call sequence we walked about 200yds and topped a hill then we could hear him gobble.  These hills are throwing me for a loop and is taking a little to get used to.  So we look at our maps and figure this bird is working a field edge on the high ridge.   We set up across from him on the next ridge and throw a few calls at him. Lol as my buddy from VA says “throw some of that MS YAWT YAWT at him”.  He would answer but he wouldn’t break off the tall ridge. It didn’t take long for use to decide to move so we dropped down low and crossed over to the bottom of the ridge he was on.  Now it’s thick like really thick but there is one small strip that’s pretty open coming down go the bottom.  I call and he answers but you can tell he’s just working back and forth.

We decide to make a move and get up there with him so we made a loop and came up the far end of the ridge. The ridge topped out but it was kinda like at two angles the first was steep enough we could be seen getting the top. The second was just enough bump up top to get seen from a side angle or so we thought.  We get almost to the top and I start crawling on my hands and knees and just as I ease up to the tree I want to glass form I hear my buddy “say there he is!!” He was 50yds  to our left on the crest of the ridge. And he was coming to us. He had heard the leaves crunching as we were crawling and he thought it was his hen. 

This is where things get interesting. So I’m on my knees out in the open but it’s so thick with saplings and trees I can see him but every now and then.  But I can tell he coming to us. My buddy says SHOOT him he’s close enough. Shoot him.  And I can’t see squat.  Finally he walks through a small hole and stops and I threaded that TSS through the hole. We went back and looked and you could see the out line of my pattern through all the trees. But the core got to his head.

I was truly blessed to take my second VA bird. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 08:17:53 PM by 3seasons »

Offline turkeyhunter91

Re: Another beautiful day in VA
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 06:38:57 AM »
Congratulations, great bird

Offline TKE921

Re: Another beautiful day in VA
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 03:46:28 PM »
HA  Hunting turkeys like a mountain goat.   Nice bird

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER