OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Thinking about semi

Started by fadetoblack188, May 05, 2021, 07:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fadetoblack188

Guys I am thinking about upgrading my benelli super nova to a semi auto.

Is it worth it?  A lot of you guys still using pumps?

What shotgun do you recommend

JodyPenny

Are you looking for recoil reduction? If so I would go with a gas operated semi. I have a gas and a recoil. They say the recoil is the same but sure feels less with the gas gun. I enjoy shooting the gas gun more. You might get a little faster second shot if needed but not by much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

I guess you will have to narrow it down depending on how much you want to spend. I've hunted both pumps and auto's and i just upgraded to new 20 ga. auto for next year..

fadetoblack188

Recoil is no concern.

Just want to know it's it's worth going semi. My duck guns are semi , but for Turkey it's mostly / hopefully a one shot game. 

JodyPenny

I haven't needed a second shot. I got a over under to use for turkey this year. I think it is more useful with one open choke and one turkey choke. If you are happy with the pump no reason to get a semi.

howl

O/U is the way to go, but you might as well try one of each. Then you'll know what you like for sure. I did. That's how I know O/U is the way to go.

BandedSpur

Gas operated semi is an upgrade over a pump in my eyes for recoil reduction, but an O/U is an upgrade over either from a utility standpoint, which is why I shoot an O/U.

fadetoblack188

what over under are you guys shooting?

howl

Yildiz are good because they will correct regulation under warranty.

fadetoblack188

Looks like 20 gauges are popular now

JodyPenny

I've got a CZ. Top barrel shoots a little high and bottom barrel a little low. I use top for long range and bottom I shoot a modified choke. Works great for me.

BandedSpur

I shoot a 12 ga Beretta 686 Ultralight. Like most all O/Us, top barrel shoots a bit higher than the lower. I shoot the long range barrel (heavier load) on bottom and lighter close range load on top. My gun prints closer together when set up that way.

howl

A normally regulated O/U will put the bottom barrel within some inches lower than the top barrel at very close range. Four inches is the limit in my opinion. I have sent a Yildiz to Briley that was 18" apart vertically and 6" horizontally. They sent it back hitting within a couple inches vertically and dead on horizontally. I have bought Yildiz which were a few inches apart vertically and dead on horizontally. I did not send those for correction. Yildiz is the only brand I know of, cheap or expensive, where you can be certain to end up with a closely regulated gun if it comes from the factory hitting too far apart.

If you put a red dot on you can zero it for the top barrel to hit on the dot. Aim this at the head. Still aiming at the head, the bottom barrel will hit on the neck. You can run tight chokes top and bottom this way.

With TSS this is the best method because it makes less likely pellets getting into the breast. I understand biting down hard on a tungsten pellet breaks teeth.

Or you can aim middle of neck and try to remember to aim at the head on the second shot. In my experience second shots are on moving birds where I ignore the dot, and go into wingshooting mode.

If you're not going to use a sight with TSS, a full choke is pretty tight.

Sir-diealot

I do not care for pumps myself, never felt comfortable with making the motion of racking them. Had a few different ones. I also no longer have an interest in them because of my 3 shoulder surgeries, it was not comfortable to begin with to use them so I doubt it will be any better. I have a Remington 11-87 I like, sounds like you are looking for something a little more high end though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 08, 2021, 02:44:52 PM
I do not care for pumps myself, never felt comfortable with making the motion of racking them. Had a few different ones. I also no longer have an interest in them because of my 3 shoulder surgeries, it was not comfortable to begin with to use them so I doubt it will be any better. I have a Remington 11-87 I like, sounds like you are looking for something a little more high end though.
I like keeping the chamber empty on my pump until I see a turkey and then I rack it for effect...that's what they do on tv and the movies anyway...

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.